Ideal Icos M3080 dismantling / opening instructions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, my boiler has been making a bit of a banging noise at the end of each heat cycle for a little while. It is now making what I'd describe as a groaning noise shortly after firing, progressing to more of a vibration later in the heat cycle.

I attempted to take the cover off several years ago because I wanted to try and get the vacuum in there to give it a clean out, but it seemed a bit impenetrable so I backed out.

I'd like to give it another go now, otherwise I see a repair bill arriving!

I've googled for some dismantling instructions before but didn't find anything. Could someone please help.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
With all due respect, if you cant even work out how to open it up - leave it alone and get in an RGI who can. ;)

I think that is very good advice!

Both from the safety point of view and to prevent damage being caused which would invoke repair bills!

So the cover has not been off for "several years" ???
Are you aware of the need to have your gas appliances PROPERLY serviced,every year,NOT "clean it out a bit" for gawd sake.Would you leave your car for "several years" without servicing it ?
Get a proper RGI in SOON,you could be sitting on a time bomb (insulation retainer pins)

Sponsored Links
Yes guy's I realise it's been very remiss of me not to have it serviced, the time has just slipped by! I am a handy chap, honest - I used to strip out my old boiler on a regular basis and get vacuum, and pipe cleaner in etc. I'm not sure why with this one there seemed to be a hurdle in getting into it, though this one is far more sealed up - because it's a condenser I guess. Hopefully to gauge my competency I should say that so far as plumbing is concerned in this house I've, fitted a new cold water header tank in the loft, to free up space in the airing cupboard. I've built and fitted out on-suite shower room in main bedroom. I've fitted new suite in bathroom. Fitted TRV's to most radiators. Fitted a radiator in downstairs toilet. I'm OK with electric's too.

I am tempted (and prepared) to just cough up the £200 odd quid to British Gas or whoever in to look at it. But if it is only a case of me de-gunking the insides I'd like to have a go. Obviously I don't want to break anything, hence the request for any pointers on opening it up. Thanks

Dont call British Gas!

They only do a safety check by measuring the flue gas composition.

Luckily none of your past plumbing achievements have included working on gas appliances.

Gas boilers are a lot more complicated now compared with old ones.

Tony

the only advise that is good advice is GET AN RGI in to service and repair this crate!!
they are potentially dangerous if they are not maintained correctly. make sure the RGI is conversant with the known issues on Ideals Junk boilers.

edit: just to back up Agile do not get BG's horse riders in as they will probably not know all the faults on these! and certainly won't be able to spend enough time on it to fix it properly.

If not British Gas, could you suggest a suitable alternative, I'm in the Solihull area. I guess part of the attraction with the BG option is the fixed price repair and the we'll keep trying till it is fixed guarantee. I may be being naive with this last point. I'm not sure if just a "service" will sort out what ever is up at the moment, the boiler / CH is doing it's job albeit a bit more noisily that before. One thing I've never liked when I looked at the pipework around the cylinder and MV area is just how tight some of the radius's are. The boiler was installed not long before we bought the property - it is around 7 years old. I wasn't of a mind to go riping it out and starting again though. Any way I digress.

i wouldn't recommend anyone for this job i'm not that cruel!! try ideal they built the ****e they should repair it!!

The only good thing Ideal did was to build a boiler that most DIY'ers could not get into. They didnt have that in mind when they built them though. :rolleyes:

Ive changed the oil in my car several times.... doesnt mean I can replace the engine or even fit a new inlet manifold. Plumbing is plumbing.... appliance servicing and repair is another. And that 'another' is RGI territory.

I love the fact a 'hoover' would be used! :eek: :rolleyes:

Suck up a dead wasp and the boiler works perfectly again? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ideal's web site direct people to Warmsure for servicing (http://www.warmsure.com/warmsure_service.html). Is that what is being recommended then?

I did have to completely strip down the engine on my first car a Triumph 1500TC, to get the crank reground and fit new shell bearings and I had a cylinder re-bore and fitted new pistons and rings. I got that back together and working :) But again I digress.

Dont call British Gas!

Luckily none of your past plumbing achievements have included working on gas appliances.

Tony

oh really? dont call BG eh? why have you told two other OP's to call BG on two other current threads but not this one?

******* moron.

Thanks Agile. Please DO NOT tare us all with the same brush. This is NOT the forum for slating individuals or companies.
Please do not try to fix your boiler yourself. Complex boiler with known problems to look for, you will miss these and potentially cause a huge hazard to yourself and family.

Dont call British Gas!

Tony

what a load of ****e, have ya read pp's post on servicing isars in the cc :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back