ideal Mexico - CH working but not HW

You meant, have i bleed the rad? Yes i did.
Just remember, air will always rise the the high points just like the bubble in a spirit level unless you have means to release that air you have a problem, look for those high points, the coil in the cylinder is one and can prove difficult to remove, many of us heating engineers have our ways but not really safe to discus on an open forum, sorry.

Sponsored Links
I turn the HW on and it ignited for a couple of minutes. As the picture below, the flow pipe, which is in the red box get a bit warm and the blue not warm at all. Could this be the pump is not working?
IMG_20180428_094708.jpg

Last edited:
You sure you have the right manual, Sham?
Naw thought he meant an HE not an old Mexico RS like my old one :oops:
Gravity HW pumped ch then. So could be choked feed or no water in header tank and flow of cylinder.

See the 15mm and 22mm pipes coming down from attic to cylinder cupboard, get a magnet and see if it sticks to the pipes at all.
Also go up in attic and make sure f/e tank has water in it and ball valve moves freely.

Sponsored Links
Also go up in attic and make sure f/e tank has water in it and ball valve moves freely.
See the 15mm and 22mm pipes coming down from attic to cylinder cupboard, get a magnet and see if it sticks to the pipes at all.

Magnet doesn't stick.

There is water in the tank and the ball valve moves freely.

You said eveything filled up & vented OK and the rads get hot therfor you can rule out a blocked cold feed and your pump must be OK or you ground floor rads wouldn't get hot your upstairs might get hot without the pump if there is no vertical or horizontal check valve fitted, you also say its the HW which is not working, that would suggest air is trapped in either the gravity flow or return pipework between the boiler & cylinder.

I turn the HW on and it ignited for a couple of minutes. As the picture below, the flow pipe, which is in the red box get a bit warm and the blue not warm at all. Could this be the pump is not working?
View attachment 141035
NO because that is your heating pipe, the pump does not work when you just have hot water on. the pipe in your blue box will get hot only when you have heating on also.

Looks like you've blown something, has the controller, (or anything), worked since you took the pump apart? That pump has nothing to do with the hot water side of your system. All the pump does is shove hot water from the boiler around the radiators when the CH is switched on.

Secondly, the heat sink rad in the toilet, is this getting hot since you had no hot water? The HW circuit relies on gravity to circulate, if it is blocked or air locked, circulation will not happen, hence you've no hot water.

Can you just check their isn't a motorised valve hidden down the side of the cylinder or anywhere else, to rule out a C plan system please.

Ya I think it is the airlock.

The control was working before I took the pump apart. After I put it back, I turned on the HW, control still working and the boiler fired up for a couple of minutes then it dies off. When I tried to turn the CH & HW, the controller blown off.

The heat sink rad doesn't get hot at all. If you refer to the picture above the thread, which I've drawn the blue and red box, it only gets hot with the red box and the fire dies off.

OK will check the cylinder for a motorised valve.

If the controller died when you turned the CH on then I suspect you've done something to the pump which has blown the electrics. Your HW issue has due to a blockage of some description in those 28mm primaries, assuming there is enough water in the system. The toilet radiator connected to the HW circuit, when you bleed it, do you get a fairly strong jet of water come out or just a slight dribble?

If the controller died when you turned the CH on then I suspect you've done something to the pump which has blown the electrics. Your HW issue has due to a blockage of some description in those 28mm primaries, assuming there is enough water in the system. The toilet radiator connected to the HW circuit, when you bleed it, do you get a fairly strong jet of water come out or just a slight dribble?
I got strong jet of water out when i bled it.

I suspect you've done something to the pump which has blown the electrics.
You spot it right. Because I just opened it again and found some water in it, as the picture below. You I think this pump can't still be used after i dry it up?

Now i remembered I think i didn't close the bleed nut tight and water leak into it.

IMG_20180430_134558.jpg

If you refer to the picture above the thread, which I've drawn the blue and red box, it only gets hot with the red box and the fire dies
Im not sure if your still thinking that is part of the HW circuit, its not its your heating flow so you wouldn't expect it to get hot above the pump unless your heating was turned on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back