I'll never sleep soundly again (house collapse)

Sponsored Links
I guess the argument that its stood for 70+ years doesn't mean a thing. Surely however, there were signs that the foundations were failing?

Google maps street view doesn't show much

That's likely near 100 years. But even so, wow.
I wonder if they'd have spotted the poor foundations on a survey.

Sponsored Links

House appears to have been built between the WW1 and II
Thanks,
I was keeping an eye out for updates on this storey.

Thanks,
I was keeping an eye out for updates on this storey.
AH. so they'd pulled the house about taken a chimney out and there was mention of a basement which it wasn't built with. Really "poor bricks"?

AH. so they'd pulled the house about taken a chimney out and there was mention of a basement which it wasn't built with. Really "poor bricks"?
No basements, no evidence of basements anywhere in the road - I think that was just idle speculation!

Last edited:
Indicative of basement excavation. Even mud bricks don't just randomly collapse. I think the council's explanation is deliberately vague.

Last edited:
Totally agree. Bricks are like bacon (as I keep telling the kids) it doesn't go off overnight. There would have been deterioration over a period of time and that would have been evident. For a catastrophic collapse to occur there must have been some other factor.

Mid - terrace houses don’t just collapse like that. I suspect supporting walls have been removed inside.

I guess the argument that its stood for 70+ years doesn't mean a thing. Surely however, there were signs that the foundations were failing?

Google maps street view doesn't show much
The bloke next door manages to get himself into street view twice :LOL: (2009, 2012)

Mid - terrace houses don’t just collapse like that. I suspect supporting walls have been removed inside.
I have a vague recollection of some chap asking the Diynot structural engineers collective about the math behind the central placement of an RSJ 'cos he wanted to "open up the space" & enjoy the full benefit of the Sq M2.

I do so hope there won't be any £monetary comeback to those members whose expertise seems to float between several different disciplines . . . !

I do so hope there won't be any £monetary comeback to those members whose expertise seems to float between several different disciplines . . . !
At least you won't need to worry about any comeback; given that your expertise seems to be based solely within "General Discussion"! ;)

Proximity and duty of care would be missing for a negligence claim.

Sponsored Links
Back