thoughts on this house collapse?

Sponsored Links
The report claims an explosion but theres no evidence for an explosion.
Debris isn't scattered far and wide in the street.
Maybe the reporter is suggesting it was a gas explosion but theres no burning or fire crews response for burning which is sometimes the case with gas explosions.
Lack of fire doesn't rule out a gas explosion but maybe it was structural: on the left hand side the party wall is missing - the party wall on the RH side is intact.
As above, going into the front door or getting out of bed & using a switch/igniter has happened in a few incidents.

Back in the day I attended quite a few collapses & fire damaged buildings as a sidekick to an Expert Witness.
One time a man had hollowed out his end terrace - no first floor or loft floor. It collapsed.
Another bright spark deliberately set a small kitchen gas explosion but the gas entered the chimney flue before exploding soot all over him & his family as they sat in a bedroom thinking of insurance claims.

Sponsored Links
Maybe the reporter is suggesting it was a gas explosion but theres no burning or fire crews response for burning which is sometimes the case with gas explosions.
Lack of fire doesn't rule out a gas explosion but maybe it was structural: on the left hand side the party wall is missing - the party wall on the RH side is intact.
As above, going into the front door or getting out of bed & using a switch/igniter has happened in a few incidents.

It wasn't an explosion, it was a more gradual collapse - according to reports. Next heard cracking noises and saw big cracks appearing the walls, before it all came down, so a structural fault of some sort.

No.23 looks like it's been opened up a bit (2016):

But No.25 looks quite solid (2014):

Not far from where we are, 15 miles. Local news had no reports of an explosion. I was trying to see if there is a skip in the front under all that debris. Going open plan and removing the supporting wall perhaps?

I was trying to see if there is a skip in the front under all that debris
I don't believe so, from the pictures I've seen.
Screenshot_20221208-222635_Chrome.jpg
The pallets in the front yard of 23 look suspicious, but they are in the same position on Street view!:
Screenshot_20221208-222827_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
There was mention in the news media that works had been done to the property regarding alteration to the basement .

Seems extreme. Back in my day, we would just use a bucket of water on the door for the craic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back