Zut Alors!

The French local authorities are much better at focusing on services that improve the lives of people who live and visit there, instead of finding ways to gouge more revenue from trapped punters.

But they also have a much better country and a population distribution that makes it easier to cope.

Once you start getting into cities it's the other way around. Plenty of cities have acres of lawless slums full of trapped immigrants that are basically hated and feared.

If you buy property, you have to make sure you pay your "dues" to the local mayor, or some old lady will magically appear with title to half your garden, once you have completed the purchase of course.

Sponsored Links
Providing a decent quality of life seems to be something that is also prioritised over the Channel.

Dordogne for me, if I can afford it over the next few years (y)

Dordogne is very nice, but some places are quite British. Drove through a town called Issigeac and signs outside the shops were in English. With the tea rooms and surrounding scenery it felt bit like somewhere in The Cotswolds. Bergerac is a great city though, some great pubs and restaurants and quite mellow and not too Brit.

I preferred to look immedeiately south of Dordogneshire in the Lot Et Garonne dept. Or north is Limousin, very green and rural with some of the cheapest houses in France. French actually welcome Brits here because French people don't want to live there, and they're glad someone is investing in the area and reinvigorating things. Either L&G or Limo are very relaxed pace of life and some Brits are deserting Dordogne because they want something bit more French/less English. You can still find open roads there. Went to a pub one Sun evening couple of weeks ago in daylight. Drove for over 15 mins and didn't see another car on the road. Far from the madding crowd. (y)

Once you start getting into cities it's the other way around. Plenty of cities have acres of lawless slums full of trapped immigrants that are basically hated and feared.

Some of the big cities are hellish. Paris especially. On the way back to ferry at La Havre, took a wrong turning off the motorway near Versailles and ended up in a suburb of Paris infested with people and traffic. Nightmare trying to get back on the right road, even my Satnav struggled to get me out of there. After several weeks of rural heaven, that little foray into Paris almost brought on a panic attack. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Are there 2 Tory candidates in your area ?

There's no other choice you would look at, let alone vote for
Don’t think we'll find out who are fielding candidates until a general election is announced, will we? Why would one political party field two candidates in the same area - that could harm both of them, surely?

Here’s how it went last time.

IMG_6289.png

Last edited:
Well apparently us ( UK) and the French had some military

Entente Cordial ceremony today apparently some caper that has been going on since
1904 ( ?)

Apparently all to do with some colonial caper in Africa

When the French and Brits pretty much ran the continent ??? Via colony’s ???

Back