imagine hundreds of years ago...

I

imamartian

you're a slave to an important Roman for example.... how do you get up at 6am to tend to your master? without alarm clocks? and the changing seasons to add to your difficulties !!!?

Sponsored Links
I remember watching an episode of Time Team :oops: where they spoke about that very subject.

They had 2 theories, one was that people actually worked shifts, and the person who would probably be on guard duty would wake the prson on day time duty, they wouldnt go to sleep until the other person was awake.

The other was that people actually went to sleep when it became dark, not like today when we sit and watch TV etc. That way they would naturally wake up when the sun rises.

I saw a history programme the other day, about how different rooms were used in history, and they were discussing bedrooms; apparently they had 4 hours sleep, a praying section, then back to bed, but were early to bed, early to rise..

Apparently Monks had even less sleep than this, getting up every other hour for prayer. They also used bells to call people to pray, which were early clocks. I presume Romans had bells? They had concrete..

It's just inbuilt into your bodyclock isn't it? How often have you needed to be up for something, set the alarm, but woke up minutes before the alarm was due.

Sponsored Links
The other was that people actually went to sleep when it became dark, not like today when we sit and watch TV etc. That way they would naturally wake up when the sun rises.

I'm pretty sure this is it. There's still people that live this way.

We don't need alarms to wake us, we just rely on them because we're used to them, and many of us don't have the regular sleeping patterns needed in order to wake naturally.

I normally wake up about two minutes before the alarm clock every morning, including weekends.

I normally wake up about two minutes before the alarm clock every morning, including weekends.

Yes I normally do this too.
My father on the other hand had the uncanny ability to wake up at the time he wanted without the aid of an alarm, he'd just think to himself to get up at 4.30 or 5.40 or 7 am and that's when he'd get up. I was always impressed but can't do it myself. He did have a clock in the room but for some reason was always set an hour and forty minutes fast. :confused:
On the very very odd occasion he would wake slightly late he and my mother would race around at twice the normal speed with my mom saying constantly "we're buzzed we're buzzed" and we would all be ready sooner than getting up normally :rolleyes: :LOL:

As there was no concept of time back then, they would presumably either wake up at dawn, or "wake up when they woke up"

And TBH, with all those drug and alcohol fuelled orgies, I can't imagine any Roman wanting to get up at the crack of dawn ... unless one of the ladies was named Dawn

you're a slave to an important Roman for example.... how do you get up at 6am to tend to your master? without alarm clocks? and the changing seasons to add to your difficulties !!!?
Tell your master "rest now sire, 'tis only 4:00am, see you in two hours", then go back to bed. ;)

I think a lot of the history is lost forever, like the concept of cart buying...Surely people didn't build their own carts, so there must have been a cart showroom to buy carts?

It's always a piece of jewelry that shows up, obviously shows they have skills.

So when a history programme is on, I wind up Micky...they had a car, TV, internet...who's to know? Only solid objects remain. Others would degenerate. They definately had technology. Could you hunk a huge rock, fry it, extract the minerals from it, then pour it into a mould, extract it, mould it, fashion it, then fashion a design on it? They were not stupid. The technology is there.

Tell your master "rest now sire, 'tis only 4:00am, see you in two hours", then go back to bed. ;)
" Requietum nunc hic est quattuor o` clock eqo mos animadverto vos duabus horis " :mrgreen:

noseall said:
Tell your master "rest now sire, 'tis only 4:00am, see you in two hours", then go back to bed.

But nobody knew what '4:00 am' meant. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

And therein lies the answer to the original problem. You didn't have to worry about getting up at 6:00 am because your master didn't know what time it was either. :) :) :) Having said that, the Romans did have sundials so, if you were going to sleep in, it would be wise to do it on a cloudy day. ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back