installing alarm via spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I will soon be installing a wireless home alarm system. The siren is battery back up but also plugs into the mains so I will need a new socket in the loft if there isnt one there. How easy is this to fit?

The control box is also hard wired. I will be wanting to wall mount it into the porch area which is near the main fuse box for the house. Will this be possible, to simply get the supply from the fusebox. I have purchased a 13amp spur but will be changing the fuse to a 3amp one before fitting.

any advice appreciated

Liam

Sponsored Links
to expand on that look in this forum lots of info regarding wirless

Sponsored Links
And to expand further, do you really want to be changing batteries every few months, and risk the alarm system being hijacked by someone with a radio transmitter, other wireless alarms on the same street, police radios, mobile phones?

An alarm system is a security device, not a toy. Take it seriously.

Crafty said:
And to expand further, do you really want to be changing batteries every few months, and risk the alarm system being hijacked by someone with a radio transmitter, other wireless alarms on the same street, police radios, mobile phones?

An alarm system is a security device, not a toy. Take it seriously.
quoted 4 year lifespan on this system

liam548 said:
quoted 4 year lifespan on this system

I think you may have just proved our point.

We had a wired system at home which was in for nearly 20 years with no problems. It was in perfect working order when it was taken out, and only upgraded because the old keypad looked a bit chunky in the soon to be decorated kitchen :LOL:

its clear everyone (well 99%) seemt o hate wireless alarms on here.

I'm happy if the batteries last 2 years nevermind 4. It would take all of 15mins to put new ones in.

I will be installing it and giving it a go, if it does not work as it should I will buy a wired system.

But will it be easy to wire my control box via the mains fuse box?

batteries last 2 years :LOL: :LOL:

try this then.

suppose they last 1 year, and are duracell pp3 how much is one of them £3 / £4?
how many have you got, now imagine you will be paying that much every year for the duration of the alarms life, you dont do that with a wired system.

oh and answer to your question, yes

liam548 said:
But will it be easy to wire my control box via the mains fuse box?
Might as well put a 13 amp plug on it in all honesty, seeing as all components have built in batteries, and knocking the control panel off the wall, or unplugging it will have little effect on the alarm's operation.

Hard wired it via a spur. Siren box outside and plugged in the loft.

All working fine, remote controlled, dials me when it activates.

No problems at all.

Wireless =great :)

liam548 said:
Hard wired it via a spur. Siren box outside and plugged in the loft.

All working fine, remote controlled, dials me when it activates.

No problems at all.

Wireless =great :)

everyone says that when they first get one.

its already gone wrong anyway

liam548 said:
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 16:47 Post Subject: installing alarm via spur
Hi I will soon be installing a wireless home alarm system

soon is not 4 months :LOL:

this chap probably has the same system as me and he thought it was good too.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=618674#618674

Its amusing how this forum is so anti wireless. I know you take your pick and have your preferences. I agree wired ones are great but why are people so quick to fob off wireless ones, I know of several people who have used them for years with no problems. Mine is working like a dream. Even the PET friendly sensors arnt being activated by the cat!

Working within a WIFI and cordless phone house and there is a electirc pylon less than 200 yards from the house!! The outdoor siren is mounted high and is powered from within the loft, even this has no trouble from the pylon.

:)

Liam

id just like to say that my ESP alarm is still working perfectly. Ive had no false alarms, I can dial in to it when I want, the pet sensors have worked perfectly.

For all those "helpful" people who responded to my first post maybe you should be a little more open minded about non-wired systems.

Anyone considering the ESP system should go for it, mine has worked with no problems and my outdoor shed is also linked to my alarm. The shed is some 40 feet away from the main box and the wireless signals reach with no issues.

Thanks all.
Liam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back