Installing LED downlight bulbs - problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased some LED bulbs to replace the existing standard GU5.3 halogen downlights I have.

I have a dozen of these in two sets of six.

When I put one of the low energy LED's in it is fine, any more than that and the LED's do not light up. Tried all six but no avail. Also tried them both ways as aware there is a + and -

When I take out the bulbs again and only one LED left it is fine.

Suggestions/Solutions welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps it's a problem with transformer loading - there is a minimum load requirement as well as a maximum, and will usually be written on the transformer/SMPSU. If you have a dimmer controlling the fittings then that will also be subject to similar minimum loading requirements.

Have you tried a standard halogen lamp in one fitting and then LEDs in the rest?

Sponsored Links
Dont you need an LED driver for this arrangement?

I've never seen an LED lamp with a GU5.3 base that needs a driver, it's usually incorporated into the lamp.

Seems to be about 50-50 and of course makes a difference in the price.

http://www.surelight.com/Stella_MR16_GU-53_LED_downlights.htm
but one example.

As it says
'Note: Must be used with constant voltage LED driver, traditional halogen drivers may cause problems due to voltage fluctuation

Been away for a few days hence delay in response.

Thanks for your tips, will look into the LED driver but I did try all combo's of LED and std halogen as I had that issue when I fitted LEDs upstairs and one std plus 5 LED's fixed it there.

Cheers
Baxman

Funny how it seems to almost always be downlighters where people are trying to put LED and CFL lamps in - we don't seem to see anywhere near as many posts concerning other types of light.

I wonder why that is?

I wonder why that is?

Probably because of the well known fact that they are an inefficient way to light a room. What they are, however, is far more aesthetically pleasing than a 5ft fluorescent is ever going to be. If they can be made as or more efficient than traditional forms of room lighting through the use of LED lamps, while retaining the aesthetics, then I applaud that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back