Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all,
My house dates back to about 1885.
Mid terraced, redbrick, lime pointing and plastered inside with lime plaster.
When carrying out some renovations I noticed a lot of blown plaster on the internal face of an external upstairs wall. I think that at some stage previous owners had used a modern plaster over the old lime plaster, perhaps to tidy up or even out the surface. This combined with a bit of ingress (through a now fixed gutter, and a gap in exterior pointing) allowed moisture build up and prevented the wall from breathing. In the end I had to hack out all the blown plaster from the internal face and found that, for the most part, large chunks came away around the wall. Due to this I hacked it all off right back to brick. I intend to install a vent in wall, clean the brickwork, and as I can’t afford to have it lime rendered, I want to batten it, and put up plasterboard Which I would like to insulate. Can anyone advise me on the best type of natural and breathable insulation to use ?
I’ve seen a lot of people putting on synthetic insulation that surely can’t be breathable on walls exactly like mine , and also a lot of people not even creating a cavity , like the battening would do. They’re dotting and dabbing directly onto solid wall with non breathable materials, or insulating inside the gap with same. I’ve been given a lot of conflicting advice on this and I’m wondering if anyone can steer me right.
The wall is built with two rows of brick, either an English or a header bond and lime pointed.
Thanks for reading
Peter

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Simplest answer is insulated plasterboard I would think, mind you that will not breath in fact I doubt standard plasterboard will either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back