Insurance renewal

I pay £589.20 fully comp on a Rover 620, despite some fairly serious endorsements. However, I'm 27, which I guess goes to prove the old adage that the big insurance drops come at age 25. I'm with Zurich, by the way. Took me a whole day of phoning round (from work!) though as confused.com/moneysupermarket etc wouldn't auto-quote with the aforementioned convictions.

Sponsored Links
Me (30) and the wife (26) pay 30 pounds a month fully comp (protected) + full break down cover for our 03 plate Astra Coupe 1.8 i. We're with Direct Line.

I’m probably classed as a safe, old fart now, not yet in the realms of incompetence. I do sympathise with some of the premiums levied at under 30’s (I have 2 of my own), but they only have themselves & their mates to blame! We have 3 vehicles in the family & with the exception of one, which is an agreed value classic, I find I have to change insurance companies almost every year to get a decent quote; they reel you in the first year & then load you up the next hoping you won’t notice. I used the same insurance company for over 20 years for all my insurance business, but some years ago, realised this “loyalty” was costing me a fortune.

I’m now a “premium tart” & hawk by business year on year; it takes probably 30 minutes to do the rounds, get the best quote & sign up on line. You have to read the small print & compare the excess rates but there is, basically, no difference between insurance cover you’re getting, all your really paying for is the broker’s fee & the difference can be substantial! I've been in the silly situation of using the same company every other year fo the last 5 years just because they have a really stupid "new business" discount!

I never accept the renewal price - had to do mine last month - was quoted £500 by NU, went online using the Post Office and got same cover for £300. The laughable thing is the Post Office are providing the insurance through NU!

Sponsored Links
The laughable thing is the Post Office are providing the insurance through NU!
Ah, but now you're a new customer ;) Therefore its cheaper!

I always go online, to my current insurer, and give them the info the renewal quote is based on, and it always comes out cheaper.

I just went on confused.com (they had my details saved from last year) who quoted me £878 with a £100 voluntary excess (£250 total). Wow. This is through elephant and the policy has everything i need. :D I'd buy it now, but i dont get paid till friday. :(

I've just changed insurers to Green Insurance of Glasgow.

Fully comp = £182.

Back