integrated dishwasher wiring - is this even safe?....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we're having a new kitchen fitted, and it's been one nightmare after another. today's issue is with the brand new integrated dishwasher. we've tried to use it for the first time, and the water didn't drain away. so we wanted to locate the power socket to turn it off. unfortunately, our kitchen fitters have decided to seal all access to the rear of the dishwasher (it's in an island, so there's another cupboard behind it). eventually, we managed to remove one of the plinths under the sink, and we found that the dishwasher was plugged into an inaccessible double socket that's located underneath the sink unit and next to all the pipework. this doesn't appear to be safe to me, but i'm no electrician. can someone advise me on whether or not any regulations have been broken? thank you...
20221103_121749.jpg

20221103_122547.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's not fixed, and the wiring used if for fixed wiring not flexible. But although one could nit pick like that, it is not unsafe because it's not fixed, be interested in what the paperwork says, are you England? In Wales you would need a compliance or completion certificate if the installation is fixed, so not fixing it gets around the Part P regulations.

thanks ericmark. this is part of a new extension, so they've installed a number of brand new plug sockets. this one is the only one (that i'm aware of) that isn't fixed. when the island was built, the electricians didn't know exactly where the dishwasher was going to be placed, so they brought the power up through the floor and left a double socket in the centre of the island (under the bottom of the kitchen units). the guy who fitted the dishwasher then simply plugged it in, and sealed off access. we've had to use a stanley knife to remove a plinth and luckily found the socket. we just wasn't expecting it to be located next to water pipes (or sealed in).

i'm not sure about certificates, because this is part of a renovation project (new build extension, kitchen, bifolds, windows, doors, garage door, etc etc)

Not a biggie, but I would want a clip on the dishwasher hose where it meets the spiggot.

Sponsored Links
Difficult to know what else the electrician could have done, if the island wasn't in place at the time.

I would be inclined to suggest moving the socket into the cupboard above, so it's more accessible and fixing it to the side panel.

judging from the responses, and similar questions on the forum about sockets in general being under sinks, i think i'm content. i'll just clip the hose as suggested and try to position the socket a little more out of the way of the pipes. my only concern now is the accessibility in the event of an emergency. aren't you supposed to be able to quickly switch off a socket without having to take a stanley knife to a plinth, and then physically rag it off? (which is probably something my mrs won't be able to do as it's quite difficult to remove)

Typical when fitter, electrician, plumber don’t communicate , you end up with a mess like that, plumbing looks as bad as electrical work . No plan.

aren't you supposed to be able to quickly switch off a socket without having to take a stanley knife to a plinth, and then physically rag it off? (which is probably something my mrs won't be able to do as it's quite difficult to remove)

I am not an electrician but, yeah, I would want to be able to unplug it with ease.

I guess that you could ask for the socket to be moved in to the cupboard.

Looking at the photos, if you ever need to pull out the dishwasher, how are you supposed to feed the waste pipe back through that hole?

he's fed the hose through that hole @opps so i guess it must be able to squeeze through. i am concerned about being unable to switch it off at the socket though

Also, in the first pic the waste plumbing is done in pushfit, and as the dishwasher will be pumping water out under pressure it "could" push the fittings off the pipe causing a flood all over the socket......

I have something very similar in my own place. Bought three years ago but only recently got round to checking this aspect. Not great but not one of life's worst problems. I suggest you familiarise yourself with the fuse/MCB/RCBO in the consumer unit that serves it, so in a rush you can quickly isolate the circuit.

I would be concerned about what happens if there is a water leak and it dripped into the socket.

Would we feel more comfortable with this arrangement? Only a single socket is required
1667823347645.png

As long as the appliance cable is long enough it should be quite doable, if not another hole can be cut but be aware the position of the appliance doesn't trap the cable.
1667824166562.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back