Interesting reason for not using an extension lead with Plug-in Solar

Real world testing was done with the prohibition on extension leads following on from that and consultation responses about misuse concerns of extensions and adapters, such as daisy chaining.
 
So lets say for example I have a grind stone plugged in, the weight of the stones will keep it revolving for a little time, and the back EMF can give you a nasty shock if you touch the plug before it has stopped revolving, but likely they will not revolve for too long, so one would need to be quite unlucky to get a shock from the plug, but if that back EMF causes the plug-in solar inverter to think it is still connected, it may extend the time.

How would the use of an extension lead make a difference?
 
Real world testing was done with the prohibition on extension leads following on from that and consultation responses about misuse concerns of extensions and adapters, such as daisy chaining.

Is that when they discovered the hitherto unknown fact that extension leads are directional? :D :D
 
Last edited:
Is that when they discovered the hitherto unknown fact that extension leads are directional? :D :D
I once had an 'Consultant Engineer' tell me the microphone infrastructure cables we were running in a theatre had to be run in the same direction when he saw us forming a bunch to pull into containment by tying the 'start' and walking a loop to the length required repeatedly, IE back and forth
1791231681622.png
rather than pulling the start to the other end, cutting and repeating to double the amount of walking required.
 
How would the use of an extension lead make a difference?
With an extension lead with a single socket it would not make a difference, but with multi-sockets it could.

But the main question is: Why was plug in solar allowed to start with? I would say from the number of YouTube videos that the government knew people would use them anyway, so giving a legal route means people may actually register their units, so we have an idea how many in use.

If plug-in solar was to help Joe public, then it would have batteries, since batteries not included, it is just to keep track of how many in use, or a simple get the public to like the Labour Party campaign, it is unlikely to pay for its self in less than 5 years, and with the reports of power cuts being likely, a small generator would be a better buy. Guess who was in power in 1978 when we had our last winter of discontent seems we need a charge of government? Come back Thatcher most is forgiven.
 
Last edited:
I once had an 'Consultant Engineer' tell me the microphone infrastructure cables we were running in a theatre had to be run in the same direction when he saw us forming a bunch to pull into containment by tying the 'start' and walking a loop to the length required repeatedly, IE back and forth View attachment 423612rather than pulling the start to the other end, cutting and repeating to double the amount of walking required.
Some of these "theories" by those "in the know" make some of our comments like the same electron gets used each time there and back
 
In the same way as:-
Batteries will come and prices will drop as time goes on.
We will likely see other restrictions lifted.

I have been required to do a risk assessment, but in the main these follow a method statement, so one knows how the task will be done.

So when the 350 mm height was required for domestic sockets (300 mm for commensal) I assumed it was so the old like me, who could not bend down easily could reach the sockets, but once I had a mother in a wheelchair, I realised the real problem was the back wheel of a self-propelled wheelchair. The user often can't see the rear wheel and when turning it is so easy to hit anything as the axle height, as height goes above or below that point, the danger reduces.

In the same way as I got that wrong, well, suppose it also helps not to have to bend so far, so an element of truth, I could easily get the reason for no extension lead wrong as well.

But I am sure it was not done just to stop people using them.
 
Like you Eric I had assumed the heights of sockets was to take into account easier reach by the gen public with a recommendation of a higher value to accomodate wheelchair users.
Long time ago it was common to have sockets actually mounted in skirting boards, the a gen recommondation of a little above the skirting board then 1 foot or so became more popular, whether this was actually in the regs or as a recommendtion in them or an interpretation of them I am not sure.
When the more recent guidance by the great and good became vogue I was happy because it was a height I had recomended to be considered for quite a while and due to my works involving social services / occy health requesting such heights they were happy to learn that I was already doing so.

But - some people still still have the opinion that they should be out of sight and out of mind no matter how difficult it makes them to use. Old habits etc etc.

Mind you some folks think it is "Lazy" to have a pull switch over/near to a bed for easy use and folk should walk to a door to use a plateswitch instead!

W T H (What the heck!)
 
How would the use of an extension lead make a difference?
The fact that you can unplug it from the wall socket and ... IF the inverter fails to shut down, then you'll have live pins.
I once had an 'Consultant Engineer' tell me the microphone infrastructure cables we were running in a theatre had to be run in the same direction when he saw us forming a bunch to pull into containment by tying the 'start' and walking a loop to the length required repeatedly, IE back and forth View attachment 423612rather than pulling the start to the other end, cutting and repeating to double the amount of walking required.
While I'm sure it wasn't the reason they had in mind, there are practical reasons for pulling cables the same way.
Thinking mic cables & XLR connectors, the lay of the cores (& drain wire) is easier one way than the other - one way you have a crossover, the other way you don't. Though in this case that's a very minor detail.
I have come across cases where the difference can be significant.
 
I once had an 'Consultant Engineer' tell me the microphone infrastructure cables we were running in a theatre had to be run in the same direction

I wonder if he is now consulting for Russ Andrews..
 
The fact that you can unplug it from the wall socket and ... IF the inverter fails to shut down, then you'll have live pins.

OK - I can see that with Eric's grindstone.


While I'm sure it wasn't the reason they had in mind, there are practical reasons for pulling cables the same way.
Thinking mic cables & XLR connectors, the lay of the cores (& drain wire) is easier one way than the other - one way you have a crossover, the other way you don't.

Not sure I see that, though. Do you mean a crossover in the sense of Pin 1 to Pin 2, and Pin 2 to Pin 1? When makers of XLR cables buy in a reel of cable, does the jacket have arrows on it so they know which way to use it?
 
The fact that you can unplug it from the wall socket and ... IF the inverter fails to shut down, then you'll have live pins.
Twas to do with misuse concerns, like daisy chaining, raised during the consultation.
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top