Is my boiler illegal and can't be serviced?

How many people who design new boilers are GasSafe registered ?

Do you know any designers who are not registered for gas work?
Boiler in the picture, IIRC, was never made as rear glued appliance

DanR I was mulling over what you said above. How difficult is it to cut the mastic and do a proper check.
This lack of imagination is similar to my neighbour, whom I gave ample advice and 'education' in what I know of boilers and suggested a Gash. Blinkers on by both her and fitter ( I did not want the job), a Failant has been installed on a system that is plus 35 years young. She is oressurising the system every few days. Installer does not want to come back- how much effort is needed to replace a known leaking rad valve when system is drained down.
SWAMBO is in my case and wants me to replace the valve as she is a neighbour.

Sponsored Links
Do you know any designers who are not registered for gas work?
Yes, two They could design boilers but were restricted as to where they could install the boilers they had designed.

Boiler in the picture, IIRC, was never made as rear glued appliance
Obviously someone who installs boilers will have detailed knowledge of boilers made by many of the dozens of different boiler manufacturers.

Sponsored Links
Good point well made sir.

Still, 5 minutes with the multi-tool instead then :D

Don’t forget “many” service technicians are just that! They wouldn’t know what a multitool was and certainly wouldn’t want to get covered in nasty plasterboard dust! :LOL:

I ended up cutting out a section as it was too small to cut out just for an access hatch and discovered the boxing was actually glued back to plywood pattresses on both adjacent walls. I'll re-attach the cut-out with a couple of angle brackets after its been serviced so it allows for future access.

Due back out to service in 3 weeks so let’s see how that goes.

Thanks for replies.

006CC4F3-D072-45B3-820D-50F28C9BE3FB.jpeg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back