Is my meter letting by?

Please confine instruction on gas work to the Combustion Chamber. I haven't deleted anything in this thread.

Maybe you didn't, we only have your word on that, but someone has.

This is a DIY forum, if posters ask question, I demand the right to answer them as A fellow DIYer.

If you are a fellow DIY'er giving dangerous advise perhaps you should do it giving the OP your full name and contact details so he and his neighbours can get in touch when things go drastically wrong. The OP was given good advise earlier in the thread and that was to contact TRANSCO. Even a RGI would have to contact them if there was a problem with either the main tap or the regulator under most circumstances.

Sponsored Links
Please confine instruction on gas work to the Combustion Chamber. I haven't deleted anything in this thread.

Maybe you didn't, we only have your word on that, but someone has.

This is a DIY forum, if posters ask question, I demand the right to answer them as A fellow DIYer.

If you are a fellow DIY'er giving dangerous advise perhaps you should do it giving the OP your full name and contact details so he and his neighbours can get in touch when things go drastically wrong. The OP was given good advise earlier in the thread and that was to contact TRANSCO. Even a RGI would have to contact them if there was a problem with either the main tap or the regulator under most circumstances.

As an DIYer I know more about gas than you ever will Gasacs.

The correct advice would have been get an RGI to check it properly, not call out Transco because the idiot doesn't know how to test a gas pipe.

If he suspected the ECV was letting by which is what his original post said he would need to get TRANSCO to change the ECV no RGI would legally change an ECV unless it was on a secondary meter.

edit: sorry the original OP thought he had a problem with the regulator which is still the property of the ESP.

I will not be drawn into squaballing whether you know more than me I have plenty of Qualifications (not just ACS) that prove I am competent.

Sponsored Links
Doitall, why would you want to give advice on gas, the law states that you must be competent to work on gas, it is not clear what competent means in the way of qualifications etc, BUT for the OP to ask such a question in the first place means he does not understand how to carry out tightness testing and let-by, this to me means he is not competent and so should not be taking on the task

I did a tightness test with my digital manometer and my pressure off the U6 meter after stabilization was 26.70mb and had risen to 27.40mb after 2min test.
What pressure does the regulator lock-up on NG?
Is my meter regulator letting by, or have overlooked something?
Everything was turned off during tests.
Kane 425 tester, certificate 2 weeks old.

As you have not told us the conditions in which the "test "was carried out it difficult to give a definative answer, all I would say is that a Water guage is less likely to give a false reading than an electronic instrument.

The 0.7 differnial could be due to anything from slight movement of the connecting tube to the effect of the Sun on the tube.

Tim

PS, if unsure its better to ask than just plod on regardless.

PPS, you could Google "argi" and ask the same question.

So Tim, are you saying that ARGI would be happy to advise a DIYer who is obviously not competent, how to carry out a tightness test, is that the ARGI policy to allow advice on gas to DIYers

Doitall, why would you want to give advice on gas, the law states that you must be competent to work on gas, it is not clear what competent means in the way of qualifications etc, BUT for the OP to ask such a question in the first place means he does not understand how to carry out tightness testing and let-by, this to me means he is not competent and so should not be taking on the task

My answer to that depends on whether I personally consider the guys at risk or an complete idiot as is the Op in this thread.

doitall= Are you an RGI a CC or DIYer

On your other question the only advice Argi is likely to give is get an RGI.

DIY gas as the law is interpreted is legal, but it is only legal as long as you are competent, in my opinion as soon as a DIYer asks a question on gas he is not competent, having to ask the question means you do not know how to carry out the task and so you are not competent to do so

Namsag Wrote:
Is obvious, it is the people who are refusing to give answer to the OP. The people who do choose to give an answer are the ones that in their opinion think it is not dangerous
You're making assumptions again ... Wrongly.

Many members give advice to, hopefully, prevent the situation from becoming more dangerous not because they don't believe that it is :rolleyes:

Freedom of choice till a mod appears.
Now this is the bit that REALLY interests me. Since when did being an expert in the topic you're moderating be a pre-requisite for Mods particularly on this site?

Mods are not there to validate advice guys, they are there to ensure that we all follow the site's forum rules ... Two VERY different things.

I wont answer because he has got 3 things wrong in something that takes less than 5 mins to do and is the most basic thing in gas safety he should know from day one
Absolutely fine and that is, of course, your choice.

Don't criticise, however, those of us who continue to try and advise the OP as that is our choice.

MW

DIY gas as the law is interpreted is legal, but it is only legal as long as you are competent, in my opinion as soon as a DIYer asks a question on gas he is not competent, having to ask the question means you do not know how to carry out the task and so you are not competent to do so

But they're going to do it anyway with or without our advice.

Should you not have a duty of care to at least try and make them safe.

How about this guy, who's had an RGI, that hasn't a clue what the problem is, should he just keep getting more RGI's until he find one that does, or should we give him a few clues.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=131158

BillyBob wrote:
DIY gas as the law is interpreted is legal, but it is only legal as long as you are competent, in my opinion as soon as a DIYer asks a question on gas he is not competent, having to ask the question means you do not know how to carry out the task and so you are not competent to do so :rolleyes:
Get real fella, what a crass thing to say.

Just because you find the need to ask advice it doesn't mean you are not competant ... Even leading experts in every walk of life ask questions and challenge their own position/thinking ... It is the primary way in which we learn.

There is no such thing as a daft question and only arrogant fools believe they know all the answers.

The arrogant blindly carry on regardless despite the little voice in their head that tells them caution is required because they believe they can't be wrong ... Whilst the sensible listen to the little voice, stop what they are doing, and ask for advice ... Both could very well be competant

I know which I'd sooner have living next door to me working on gas ... And I can guess which one you are.

MW

doitall, when someone has to ask the question, they obviously do not know what they are doing, if you post what to do to rectify the problem you have no idea how they will interpret what you say, in my opinion it is safer to not advise at all on gas and electrics

Are you qualified in gas, why don't you contact the OP by pm and tell him what to do, the law states you must be competent, to ask this kind of very basic question means you are obviously not competent.

no qualified installer would ever need to ask how to carry out a let-by and tightness test, it is one of the most basic tasks we have to carry out, the OP has had his query answered, get a RGI to check it for him, that is good advice.

So megawatt where did i critise people for giving advice .

And what advice have you given that will put the guy in the right direction.

Re mods im not a fan of mods but the one on here mod 10 is seemingly qualified and does remove stuff which everyone knows not saying we agree with it but it is how it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back