Is my meter letting by?

[

How about this guy, who's had an RGI, that hasn't a clue what the problem is, should he just keep getting more RGI's until he find one that does, or should we give him a few clues.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=131158[/QUOTE]

Bit different from knowing how to or not fix a certain make and model of boiler from carrying out a TT is it not?

But more dangerous, unless you blow yourself up.

Its the POC that kill not the gas safely stuck in a pipe

Sponsored Links
Jumped out of bed last night, with a terrible smell of gas!
Ran down stairs to find that the wife had left the hob ring on. Goes to show how easy it is for non-competent person to cause an explosion!

The manometer test point was 100% sound.
Thanks again for the valuble contrabutions.

Jumped out of bed last night, with a terrible smell of gas!
Ran down stairs to find that the wife had left the hob ring on. Goes to show how easy it is for non-competent person to cause an explosion!

No, that's just thick, not non-competent

Mike is a DIYer who is not CORGI registered.

If he has bought a manometer then it implies he is going equipped to do gas work.

If he has bought an expensive digital manometer then that makes me think that he definately is planning to do work for others which is illegal and as he is not qualified then thats potentially dangerous as well.

I dont subscribe to giving him and advice at all. There is no one toassess his practical capabilities and given a little advice can only encourage him.

If he kills anyone then the ensueing court case will also involve the owner of this site who could be indited for giving him advice which encouraged his actions.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Mike is a DIYer who is not CORGI registered.
If you say so

If he has bought a manometer then it implies he is going equipped to do gas work.
Professor Plum in the library with the candlestick ... Carry on Sherlock.

If he has bought an expensive digital manometer then that makes me think that he definately is planning to do work for others which is illegal and as he is not qualified then thats potentially dangerous as well.
The fact that its made you think troubles me more ... Any chance he could have borrowed it?

I dont subscribe to giving him and advice at all. There is no one toassess his practical capabilities and given a little advice can only encourage him.
Your choice and I fully support your right to make it.

If he kills anyone then the ensueing court case will also involve the owner of this site who could be indited for giving him advice which encouraged his actions.
Supposition and unlikely to be the case IMO. If anonymous advice given on this site could be used in litigation against the site owner in cases where the advice resulted in death or serious harm then the site (and all others like it) would be closed down by now ... Gas isn't the only area with legislation you know and poor advice in the Electrics forum is far more likely to kill someone ... Did you mean indicted BTW?

MW

Without facts one can presume anything in the world and read between lines that you have wrote yourself.
Of course I don't have to write an answer but I will for my own satisfaction. My all my digital instruments are for my other work. Tightness tests are one of the functions on this instrument!
I have not moved/touched a gas fitting/pipe, installed a gas boiler/fire/cooker...or even breathed on an appliance regards fitting!
There are two paths to take regards replying to a post like mine.

One, you give advice to someone who probably does not know quite what they are doing. To which they (if they are not too dumb) would take on board and may go even further (that could create more danger).
Two, you don't give advice and thus leave the person with no additional knowledge (that also could create more danger).

To this end, I think there are particular people on the forum that would be better suited working for Corgi, HSE or even a security guard (not as a tradesman). Where rather than positively interacting with others they get a chance to exert will/force and regulations on others.

I am too respectful to list their names here!

Mike2007 wrote;
"I have not moved/touched a gas fitting"

You have if you tried to do a tightness test (removed the test nipple) Did you put it back and test it ? I'm not getting into the DIY gas argument but leaving a hob on would not have the symptoms of your initial post.

Main point most people are making here is it is a DIY site and can give advice if they want which i have said several times in the past i tottally agree with ,also if people don`t like it turn off or ignore. Don`t get upset about it.

But cannot find anywhere on this site that describes it as .
Hi I am a pro out there charging people money and don`t know how to do the basics can someone tell me how to.
I have no probs pointing diyers in right direction and will always tell them cost of parts to stop them being ripped off.
What i do have a problem with is people coming on here and lying claiming to be a diyer (thus treating us all as idiots) and out there charging ie ripping people off by working past their capabilities.

Honest questions on boilers that stump us all are not included in this

Regards asking for advice or wondering how to carry out a task, there are many things that I find technicaly interesting and would like to know the ins and out of doing them.

Such as hang gliding, or bungy jumping,

that does not mean I wish to actualy do them. :LOL:

So coming back to the chap who "asked about let by"

He is quite able to go to the library and with a little research, find out how to carry out this proceedure.

This thread has run to four pages, most ofwhich is bichyness, this does not show a good example to the DIYer who looks to the Pro,s( :LOL: ) for advice and guidence.

I agree with Doitall in many respects.

Perhaps some DIYNot Pro,s need to attend anger management courses ;)

Tim

BTW. if any one wants to ask for advice on http://www.argi-online.org.uk/community/ they are free to do so.

Secret of bungee jumping is simple remember and tie the rope on and dont have it too long. :eek:

Tony

Tony that is absolutely ridiculous I bought the Tolleys books by Frank Saxon and the R D Treloar book before being registered to work on gas. If I had used the information in them to perform an act which resulted in life or property damage are you suggesting I could hold the authors responsible?. America maybe but I am sure we are still a good 5 years away from that over here.

Well if I manage to kill someone I fully intend to sue the training center and the college :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back