Is this a C1?

I am at the moment fighting to get my central heating returned to RCD protection,
May I ask why?

I don't mean what is making that wish unattainable but simply why do you specifically want the CH to be 'protected' by an RCD when no regulation calls for any appliance to be so 'protected' ?

Do you think CH systems are more susceptible to damaging earth leakage (likely to cause a fire) than other things or that you are especially likely to get an electric shock from a CH system caused by something that would not result in ADS?

Sponsored Links
I do not want to find the oil boiler guy injured due to touching something live, and I feel it is unlikely that enough current will flow to rupture a 3 amp fuse when supplied from a 3.2 kWh battery and an inverter.

I was going to say TT, but since the power is from within the house maybe classed as a TN? Even if it does use an earth rod.

Until there is a loss of grid power it would comply, but not so sure once grid supply lost?

Sponsored Links
Water jets from the shower on the bath could quite likely squirt towards the lamp and certainly get it wet so I agree with EFLI could do with a Globe type or something else with a decent IP rating. C2

Could also do with a decent coat of paint

Last edited:
Maybe 15 year thread bare carpet, Toilet keeps running water, no cold tap in bathroom for teeth, broken fire alarms. So much wrong. Hey ho, only £340 a month. Then we have to find money for gas, elec, water on top. No internet, no communal cleaner. No TV Ariel. Every other room on spareroom includes these things. I am somewhat disabled with broken legs, and where I live is so close to town, bus stops, doctors or otherwise, yes, I would move.

It is always a balance, here in Wales we are seeing less and less properties for rent, mainly due to landlords feeling it's not worth the hassle so selling up. We are seeing a huge increase of mobile homes, seems the rules are not as strict, I saw what was done to my mother home to allow her to live with one leg, and can't see any landlord allowing that to be done to a house he owned, and when she died, the way social services ripped the stuff out, also seemed wrong, disconnecting fire alarms for example.

I remember at around 20 years of age, the debate, buy or rent, lucky I went for buy, but it was a toss up in 1971 which way to go, and we got very close to loosing the house, mortgage rate then was around 16%. Today sitting pretty, we sold 2½ houses to move here, so no mortgage and money in the bank, but as to if worth it, not so sure, I hardly saw my children growing up, to make ends meet I worked Algeria, Falklands, and Hong Kong, and even when in UK worked around the country. And when I had my accident in 2004 nearly lost it all, we were on our last pennies. Once compensation came I was OK, but that took two years, and then we had to make the money last.

Had I been in a rental it would have been so much easier to get money, they took the value of the house into account, and even if worth a lot of money, it would not go far with no income even if sold. And home maintenance clearly took a back seat, I could not afford carpets, or any of the other things I now take for granted. There maybe laws as to what needs to be in a house to rent it, but non for a owner occupier, we had two options, sell the house, or make do. And to sell would mean government would grab even more money off me, and all my hard work to get the money would be for nothing.

Was it all worth it? Well I think on balance yes, and when I lived in Algeria I had a great sun tan, and of course sand in my toes. But when I lost my job, due to no fault of mine, I did not remove the lock and turn the machine back on, but I had never planned to stop working so early in my life, as least being some one else's fault I did get some compo, had I got same injury out of the work place I would have got nothing. So yes I see your problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back