it is ILLEGAL to sign off work from non-corgi

Sponsored Links
I have a curious tale to relate concerning corgi from the year 2000, a large firm in the east midlands were investigated by the hse and corgi following a CO incident in a tennented property owned by the city council.
What happened is that a service tech visited and noted on his paperwork that there was no ventillation but it wasnt spilling and the was no evidence of spillage.
we all know it should have been ID'd and cut off, complete with disconnection notice, but it wasnt.
However the matter got overlooked at the paperwork level, but the LLGSR was never issued.
however the council decided to lease to a new tennant, despite the lack of the LLGSR.
Anyway, in moved this family and lo and behold there was an incident.
The firm concerned had their ticket suspended for 1 month, while investigations were undertook.
Im not sure of the details of any fines or any action taken against the original fitter.
Or the council for leasing the property.
However it seemed they were more interested in the operations of this fair sized company.
the upshot was that they had to install a QC dept and employ a corgi inspector for 1 year, to oversee this QC dept.
It made life interesting indeed.

as a footnote during the investigation it was found the boiler would not run due going off at hi limit because the pump was seized.
also during extensive testing they couldnt make this boiler spill for love nor money and concluded it was a a freak with or explaination.
Mind you at least the tenant knew the proceedure as had happened before apparently :confused:

point is to all this is that corgi wanted to make some kind of an example and seemingly a lot of money.

That QC dept is still there, and its all rather strange, as a commercial fitter we all come under the same QC.

has anyone ever seen the commercial corgi manual?
probably because there isnt one.
frankly we get nothing from them at all, and the inspector is worse than usless, again it also funny as 2 of us are catcom and he cant inspect our work. :rolleyes:

That particular firm(if its then one with a derby and nottingham office) were removed from the register but have since been allowed to re-register through efforts made by corgi to ensure that their gas work is spot on.

Which is why 3 months ago i had the privillage to remove them from another council site, ID 20 out of 23 installs. Report them to their Corgi inspector for large buissness's, have the local inspector on site and confirm all our findings and write a hand full of Riddors.

Sponsored Links
This Old Codger has picked you up on several post with false information wiwc.

Get it right or don't post is the best advise.

Well i still think you are wrong stating I am wrong about the L/S

Never mind a bit more experience and you should be ok.

Just listen to the old dinosaurs :LOL:

I do respect what other colleagues say and I do take it in, I just wish that it did not come with attitude or flippant comments.

I've not really followed this thread all the way through (too many posts having digs at others) but it does seem to bring one thing into focus, in that even if you employ / contract a corgi fitter even from a large company you can't be sure that the work they do is any better than work done by a competant person, be that someone who has studied an independant course or is in the last years of an apprenticeship.

I agree with the posters on here about the apprenticeships. Having spent 4 years doing an electical / electronics apprenticeship with an aerospace company I learnt a lot more from the time I spent with skilled fitters than I did in the classroom. A comparison to the posts regarding the "crash course" over a 4 year apprenticeship can be seen in the IT field. There are so many companies offering an "IT qualification" after a 12 week course that its flooding the market. And at the end these gusy know diddly squat when it comes to the bare basics in diagnosing a fault (I know from personal experience).

The main thing thai I see Corgi offering is that there is a procedure for inspection, and in really bad cases action taken against individuals or companies that are in breach of corgi registration or hse guidelines. However this normally follows a case where people either end up in hospital or worse.

I've not really followed this thread all the way through (too many posts having digs at others) but it does seem to bring one thing into focus, in that even if you employ / contract a corgi fitter even from a large company you can't be sure that the work they do is any better than work done by a competant person, be that someone who has studied an independant course or is in the last years of an apprenticeship.

I agree with the posters on here about the apprenticeships. Having spent 4 years doing an electical / electronics apprenticeship with an aerospace company I learnt a lot more from the time I spent with skilled fitters than I did in the classroom. A comparison to the posts regarding the "crash course" over a 4 year apprenticeship can be seen in the IT field. There are so many companies offering an "IT qualification" after a 12 week course that its flooding the market. And at the end these gusy know diddly squat when it comes to the bare basics in diagnosing a fault (I know from personal experience).

The main thing thai I see Corgi offering is that there is a procedure for inspection, and in really bad cases action taken against individuals or companies that are in breach of corgi registration or hse guidelines. However this normally follows a case where people either end up in hospital or worse.

Good post malc, plumbing, gas you name it all do 10 week courses for around 5 bigones.

Some come on the forums to ask questions and advance their knowledge, others the CC's knowitall and can.t you just pick them out :LOL:

What happened is that a service tech visited and noted on his paperwork that there was no ventillation but it wasnt spilling and the was no evidence of spillage.
we all know it should have been ID'd and cut off, complete with disconnection notice, but it wasnt.
No sign of spillage so only AR (NOT ID), so it wouldn't have been isolated, only turned off. And turned straight back on by the tenant.

The main thing that I see Corgi offering is that there is a procedure for inspection, and in really bad cases action taken against individuals or companies that are in breach of corgi registration or hse guidelines. However this normally follows a case where people either end up in hospital or worse.
Since GWN came along it is a bit stronger than that. In the back of a Corgi's mind is that his installation might be inspected randomly. This has certainly made a difference to me, where I go an extra step to get something 100% right, just in case. It's human nature to cut corners, so it gives a customer more confidence if he knows the installer has to bear that in mind.

can never get my head around why any CORGI registered installer will sign off work...
If nobody signs it off then they cant get the work unless the public are prepared to accept it not being registered....

When will installers realise that by saying NO then in time this work will come our way.... by signing it off you are as guilty as not being registered...

And yes it is Illegal to sign it off.... if you think its Ok ring up corgi and tell them that you have signed off work and see what happens

Which is why 3 months ago i had the privillage to remove them from another council site, ID 20 out of 23 installs. Report them to their Corgi inspector for large buissness's, have the local inspector on site and confirm all our findings and write a hand full of Riddors.

yup ;)

it does seem to bring one thing into focus, in that even if you employ / contract a corgi fitter even from a large company you can't be sure that the work they do is any better than work done by a competant person,

:idea: :idea: :idea: Now you know why, after being on the tools for 30 years, and stopping gas work as soon as it became "corgied"...I allow myself, in the luxury of retirement , to rip the **** out of the ££££££Corgi :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: A percentage of gas fitters couldn`t fit a French Letter...it was true in 1978 and is as true now :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back