it is ILLEGAL to sign off work from non-corgi

It happens all the time with pipe fitters !!

The guy doing the installation works to a drawing and spec!

To him it is just a pipe regardless of whether it will carry gas ,air or water!!

Why would he need to be corgi as he is installing to an engineers spec and has no say in the design!!

When completed some one comes around to test / purge and issue certificate!!

It certainly does Terry and it's still illegal, and as for working to an engineers spec it should be taken as indicative only, I could write a book on so called experts cookups :eek:

Sponsored Links
Having frightened everyone with that little gem :LOL:

Sit down and give it some lateral thinking. Every day Thousands of RGI's service and safety check 10s of Thousands of appliances for landlords etc.

Does anyone stop to think or even ask for that matter, Who installed it.

Of course you don't, you do the checks and the wet rag over the case (BG) and fill out the cp12 and oft to the next one. :cool:

Diyitall wrote

I could write a book on so called experts cookups

Are you including your own cockups in this book ?.
First chapter mebbe. :LOL: he he

doesnt the actual law state that anyone who has proven competancy can legally work on gas.isnt the ACS ones proof of competancy.So you fit a heating system for x amount and throw the gas side in for free. :idea:

Sponsored Links
Glad to see John posting something again! I was beginning to wonder if he was OK ( or has run off with the ARGI funds, not that they would get him much further than Dover though. ) Perhaps he was snowed under with dealing with all the new ARGI subs?

At least ARGI is a start in the right direction. Its a pity that it does not have the support of more than about 1% of the CORGI registered people yet and has not made a massive impact on the Industry but the Chairman has started to become heard of at least.

Tony

Yes i know i see them in the installer .And do you think corgi would make the fees any cheaper for us if more people where registered.. Seeing some of the people who are registered i don`t think much to corgis competence in deciding who is competent.

Who would i trust the guy who has been working with gas and installing appliances for twenty plus years or some wee boy just out his time or worse a 6 week course attendee. let me think :rolleyes:

Hi there nam, did you clock the ARGI T-shirted herberts when you were at Installer live, or the one wearing the large loggoed body warmer?

Two of the lucky devils each won a Sentinal Power Flush machine in the daily raffle.

Unfortunately there was no room on the Basingstoke Gazette (gas installer mag) for the pictures we sent them showing the ARGI blokes being congratulated by the Gent from Sentinal.

Tim

PS Thought it was a bit mean of CORGI not to show the pictures when you consider the cost to Sentinal for of a stand at CORGI,s premier event.

But if the top is doing nothing then the bottom has to do something.

The HSE is charged with dealing with this but seems pretty useless.

We all report one case to them and are disallusioned by the lack of interest.

My exploding boiler report resulted in just a letter to the Landlord suggesting he used a CORGI next time!

Tony
Hi

This might give you an inkling as to why the HSE are 'not interested' http://comment.independent.co.uk/commentators/johann_hari/article3001606.ece

It won't matter if it's CORGI or ARGI will it?

Thanet.

The state of the gas industry is just a small example of whats wrong with this country, rotten leadership, vested interests, working people at the sharp end being sh*t upon. Bring on the revolution, but as much as I support ARGI I think it needs a much wider revolution than just them to sort things out.
Here here, and it`s starting next year with a credit crunch :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: get those 0% cards out before it`s too late

It won't matter if it's CORGI or ARGI will it?

Thanet.

Well it could!

CORGI are a registration body with an additional remit to encourage gas safety.

ARGI represent the registered gas installers. They have a vested interest in stopping unregistered gas workers and most have a very well honed desire to encourage and practice gas safety.

ARGI is therefore the body to campaign the Government to reinforce the HSE to take effective action to reduce the spread of unregistered gas work.

Already I think that ARGI is to some extent responsible for CORGI having taken unregistered working more seriously ( particularly when they realised it was losing them registration fees! )

Tony

Fitz said:
doesnt the actual law state that anyone who has proven competancy can legally work on gas.isnt the ACS ones proof of competancy.So you fit a heating system for x amount and throw the gas side in for free.
NO!!
That would be illegal. Read GSIUR sometime!!

The HSE are in the process of appointing a new regulator to replace CORGI, though CORGI could still get the job!

As part of the process, the HSE commissioned a report, Review of Domestic Gas Safety, which makes very interesting reading.

Although it makes clear that an installer, who is not CORGI registered, is breaking the law if he charges for his work, there is absolutely no reference to DIY installers. Presumably, if you poison yourself and your family, that's your look-out; but if you poison someone elses family ...

Of course the Gas Safety Regulations do have a catch-all clause which says:

3. - (1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.

But how would this be enforced? And is it the responsibility of the person doing the work to prove he is competent or of the HSE, or whoever, to prove the person is not competent. Innocent until proved guilty?

Although it makes clear that an installer, who is not CORGI registered, is breaking the law if he charges for his work, there is absolutely no reference to DIY installers.
Not quite - money isn't mentioned. The key word is "Employed". That obviously covers paid work, or work which would normally be paid for, but suppose your neighbour gets his mate to do something for you as a favour? There is apparently a grey area.

Although it makes clear that an installer, who is not CORGI registered, is breaking the law if he charges for his work, there is absolutely no reference to DIY installers.
Not quite - money isn't mentioned. The key word is "Employed". That obviously covers paid work, or work which would normally be paid for, but suppose your neighbour gets his mate to do something for you as a favour? There is apparently a grey area.

I was referring to the HSE report, which says:

While the law with regard to unregistered installers appears clear – they are acting illegally if they charge for their work

Though the use of "appears" is interesting; even the HSE are unable to give a definitive answer!

On the use of "employed, employer", that obviously covers those working for BG or any other heating contractor. But there is also a blanket ban on unregistered self-employed gas fitters. The Regulations say:

...no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the ... self-employed person, ..., is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.

And there is no mention of payment; so if you ask your unregistered mate to do the work and he is found out, then it's your mate who is hauled up before the HSE not you. :confused:

In regards a new regulator if it ever happens. What will that change it is still going to be called corgi it is still going to work from the same book it is still going to charge the same fees and oh yeah the corgi inspectors have all been promised a job with the new company if it happens

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back