I've got the wrong wire haven't I?

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
A

attractivebrunette

Am putting up a 12v wire lighting system.

I have a 300 VA toroidal transformer and the track length is about 12 meters with 6 x 35 watt lamps.

However, while the lamps fixed near the transformer are bright, the lamps shine progressively dimmer the further from the transformer they're placed. After about 4 meters the lamps have next to no light coming from them at all.

I think it might be because I've purchased the wrong stainless steel wire? I got the usual 4mm stainless steel cable coated in clear nylon, but I didn't get it from a lighting shop.

What's more, the cable is very warm to the touch, while cables I have for other 12v systems in the house, which were purchased as part of a kit, aren't warm at all.

So, can anyone tell me if there is a special type of stainless steel wire required for 12v lighting systems? Does it need to be a particular impedance or be rated for carrying a particular current or wattage?

Thanks

:D :D

Sponsored Links
S'ok, I got the answer. It's the cable that's incorrect. Changing it now :D

What you probably had was wire too thin for the load and distance, hence the reduced light output and raised temperature.

Sponsored Links
12 metres is a long run @ 12v with that kind of wattage. I'd be surprised if any tension wire you can purchase (that will still fit the lamp terminals) will be big enough.

I have a 300 VA toroidal transformer and the track length is about 12 meters with 6 x 35 watt lamps.

From that site:
What is the maximum length you can make the wire track?
Five metres is a good length at which to start considering using more than one transformer. On longer runs an isolator can be used so that two each side of a longer run can have up 300 watts of lights. You can use a single transformer for 6-7 metres without being to concerned about voltage drop. Ten metres is possible on 6pm cables but you will see the lamps as brighter closer to the transformer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back