Jason's thread

Are you saying you think it is the "largest, most prosperous single market in the world?"
It has to potential to be the largest, America and China are the largest economies at the moment.
The EU used to have almost 25% of world GDP but know I believe it has fallen to around 16 or 17% of world GDP.
eu_members_share_of_world_gdp1-1.png

Sponsored Links
Maybe we should encourage him to talk to some Commonwealth leaders and find out directly from them what significance they attach to a trade deal with the UK.
Talks are already underway to create the worlds largest free trade zone ,the UK has the advantage of historical links with the commonwealth countries and plenty of gun boats to protect these emerging nation's from predators like the Chinese.

Sponsored Links
and plenty of gun boats to protect these emerging nation's from predators like the Chinese.
Said on telly last night that UK could not deploy the new aircraft carrier because there were not enough other boats to protect it.

Access to the EU means access to the largest, most prosperous single market in the world.

Access to the UK doesn't.

One is worth more than the other.
Replace the word UK with Poland, Greece, etc and you'll understand the argument doesn't work.

I'd be a happy remainer if we all paid the same membership fee.

Perhaps you can answer: will the EU agree to the UK having a free trade deal without paying a sub?
A UK -EU free trade agreement would not require any contribution either way.
I am sure the EU will happily begin negotiations for a FTA with UK. It might take a few years (depending on how quickly the UK parliament can agree to what it wants in a FTA ).
As I explained earlier.
Free trade agreements are usually extremely tight on which goods are included, and which are excluded, including quotas on such goods. They do not cover projects, grants, infrastructure and income generation schemes, etc. Free trade agreements are not concerned with the health and well-being of the citizens.
The EU, the Single Market and Customs Union is not so restrictive. The EU contributions does far more than compensate for the lack of tariffs.

As I said, it's a choice between a customs union (free trade with a membership contribution which does far more than covers trade tariffs) or trade tariffs (and non-tariff barriers).
There is of course the third choice - a free trade agreement, which is extremely restrictive, as explained above.
A FTA undoubtedly would not cover services (about 40% of UK exports to EU)
upload_2019-2-16_9-50-52.png

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/CBP-7851.pdf

Last edited:
I don't think it's the largest market any longer ,it's share of world GDP has been declining for a long while.
As a percentage of world trade the EUs share isn't really that large is it.
500 million people inside the EU sounds impressive but when you consider that there are around 6.5 billion people who are outside the EU it sort of puts it all in perspective.
upload_2019-2-16_9-40-9.png

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/CBP-7851.pdf

Replace the word UK with Poland, Greece, etc and you'll understand the argument doesn't work.

I'd be a happy remainer if we all paid the same membership fee.
The EU is not simply a trading bloc.
It is a governmental tier.
Your counter-argument could just as easily apply to countries within UK, or counties/cities within one of the UK's countries, or wards within any one of the UK's cities, or households within any ward, etc.
UK does not insist on similar contributions from its constituent countries, why do you think the EU should?

They'll eat mechanically recovered meat, blasted into a slurry with high pressure hoses from the spines of pigs and cows, and the carcasses of chickens, they'll eat all manner of "chopped and shaped" things glued together,
Otherwise known as a pie,,,....BAS..yum...get it down ya neck,,,fray bentos steak and kidney....yummmmmmm

It has to potential to be the largest, America and China are the largest economies at the moment.
The EU used to have almost 25% of world GDP but know I believe it has fallen to around 16 or 17% of world GDP.
View attachment 159104
There are many explanatory notes in the original:
https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-has-shrunk-percentage-world-economy/
For instance, the earlier data included only 146 countries now it includes 190 countries.
The additional countries joining the EU has an apparent negative effect on the data.
The data has been adjusted for fluctuation in the value of the dollar. Similar adjustment would rank UK 9th in the world economies, not 5th.
The data is based on countries own supplied data. Some countries struggle to supply accurate data. Some may even artificially and intentionally manipulate that data.
The value of digital data is difficult to quantify. Something that the UK is very concerned about losing digital economy to EU following Brexit.

Sponsored Links
Back