Jason's thread

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Provided those imports and exports meet all relevant Directives, regulations, etc.
Home produced goods have to meet the same directives regulations, etc.
Why allow imports to be outside of those directives etc?

But some traders have better stalls & pay less rent,while some traders pay way too much rent on worse terms, which seems unfair.
And some get a rebate on their rent, and still want more.
Perhaps the market place uses a calculation of how much the income from the stalls is generated to apply the rent.
Those stalls making a greater profit pay more rent.
Perhaps the market place allows some stalls a low rent until they establish a demand for their produce.

And some get a rebate on their rent, and still want more.
Perhaps the market place uses a calculation of how much the income from the stalls is generated to apply the rent.
Those stalls making a greater profit pay more rent.
Perhaps the market place allows some stalls a low rent until they establish a demand for their produce.
Or maybe it's "you scratch my back & I'll scratch yours"

No you don't, as you then go on to demonstrate.

I have free movement within the UK. That doesn't mean I don't have to pay to use the train, or the bus, etc, or to put petrol in my car.

I'm free to spend the night where I want. That doesn't mean that I don't have to pay to use hotels or B&Bs etc, or the running costs of my house.

Free trade means no restrictions on imports and exports.

I don't think I've ever once seen you challenge the advocates of trading just on WTO terms over the fact that WTO membership has to be paid for. One might almost think you were biased.

you keep saying trade with the EU is tarriff free. whichever way you want to argue, that is only achieved by paying the EU a big lump of money. That means it is not free. You can argue there is no direct trade tarriff which businesses have to pay, but they have to pay indirectly through taxation......

you keep saying trade with the EU is tarriff free. whichever way you want to argue, that is only achieved by paying the EU a big lump of money. That means it is not free. You can argue there is no direct trade tarriff which businesses have to pay, but they have to pay indirectly through taxation......
Therefore there is a choice: tariff free trade (with the 'membership fee'), or pay the tariffs (and suffer the non-tariff barriers).

There is nothing inherently wrong with using analogies to illustrate a point.
If those analogies are taken beyond the limits for which they were intended, they no longer become applicable analogies.
I don't know who or why the golf club analogy was introduced, I suspect it was to illustrate that if you stop paying the membership fees, you stop receiving the benefits, or something to that end.
Your extension of the payments and who pays what is slightly linked to the same theme, with the obvious lack of similarity that I indicated.
Therefore in that capacity, it is not a suitable analogy.

Extending that analogy into a discussion about mission creep is way outside of the original intended use of the analogy.

In general, in the original use of an analogy, the analogy may be applicable. But to extend the same analogy into areas for which it no longer suits the purposes, the analogy has outlived its usefulness.
To use an analogy :idea:
If one wants to explain feedback (acoustic) one might use the example of an echo, say in a valley.
If someone else then suggests that echos are no good for long distance secure communication, then the analogy has been taken way beyond its intended use, and its usefulness.

My point Would be. Why am. I paying a higher membership fee every month as that fella who drives the Duster.... And the new fella who's just joined

They play the same 18 holes.
Drink the same lager out of a similar glass to mine....

That's why I'm leaving your golf club!!

Sponsored Links
Back