Johnward & VicVapour

Sponsored Links
:D :D :D
Leave it to the EXPERTS...
Would you call a variable resistor a switch?????
You guys can't even clean up after yourselves let alone let you wire up a heating plan. :LOL:

That's wierd because I wire up loads of heating systems for a local plumbing firm, and it's always just switches.

I dont dispute that but the discerning customer employing an appropriately clued up installer can get so much more heat for his pound ?

If you are in a price sensitive market then yes everything will be conventional old type switches. Have u ever checked out the hysteresis on a 30 year old mechanical Honeywell room stat? It can b a real eye opener

So who is most qualified to change electrical componants on a gas boiler?????
Possibly on paper - you- but in the real world u arnt allowed inside them and as a NTC is now deemed a switch I think u best leave the pumbs to fix them!

Yes your right been a gas engineer 25year
Never said NTC was a switch I said it can be connected to a switch in a PCB

Sponsored Links
That's wierd because I wire up loads of heating systems for a local plumbing firm, and it's always just switches.

Room stat = switch
Can use switch as an option but not standard fitment
Frost stat = switch
yes switch
cylinder stat = switch
No can't use switch has to be special to match boiler
limit stat = switch
programmer = switch(es)
Part of boiler so not really wired by electrician
thermocouple = switch
Since when come on that's never been a switch
NTC = switch
zone valve = switch

Yeah there might be some fancy electronics in there but all it really boils down to is lots of switches
I went to the trouble to post links to the PDF files as to be frank I was surprised as most I have wired did not have the programmer built into the boiler.

I can see the problem in trying to adapt a boiler of that type to work with an old system and to be frank the instruction sheet was rather lacking. It gave one basic method to wire with very little to explain how to use it with for example two motorised valves rather than a single three port valve.

I was also surprised to see the expansion vessel and by-pass valve outside the boiler yet the pump was inside the boiler.

However I am sure any electrical engineer would soon work out what resistors and relays were required to make it do what they wanted.

The surprising thing was the temperature BS7671:2008 tells us 70 deg max for anything not hand held but can be touched made out of metal but this boiler went up to 90 degs clearly not complying with electrical regulations if used with steel radiators unboxed.

For years people have been ripping out their cisterns and hot coils and been replacing them with the combi boiler which because cold and hot water were then the same pressure made fitting of a thermostatic shower easy.

But now with the eco move more and more we are seeing a return to the cistern and multi-hot coils with blending valves so that solar panels and solid fuel boilers can share the job of providing domestic hot water.

So one would expect a boiler today designed to use a cistern would also have instructions on how to use it with other heat sources, but this boiler seemed rather lacking so I can understand why some one would ask what would on the face of it seem a pointless question.

What would be interesting would be to hear how the PC software can be used to modify this boiler it seems likely it's designed to interface with some SCADA or HMI with a PLC to control other sources.

I will admit at first I jumped to conclusions without looking up the boiler but it does seem far more complex than the standard. Yet because of the limited ability without a PC to change how it works really quite simple to wire as one has really no option but follow the manufacturers instructions.

The surprising thing was the temperature BS7671:2008 tells us 70 deg max for anything not hand held but can be touched made out of metal but this boiler went up to 90 degs clearly not complying with electrical regulations if used with steel radiators unboxed

Just about sums it all up ! Left hand never knows what the right hands doing. Very good post mate, A voice of sanity! :D

Software for these boilers is easy enough to get and is coded using Python 2.5.

Other manufacturers may vary.

What features you can unlock and what may be hidden from view will also vary.

The surprising thing was the temperature BS7671:2008 tells us 70 deg max for anything not hand held but can be touched made out of metal but this boiler went up to 90 degs clearly not complying with electrical regulations if used with steel radiators unboxed

Just about sums it all up ! Left hand never knows what the right hands doing. Very good post mate, A voice of sanity! :D
I think the problem is to reduce radiator size you need to raise the temperature and with a closed system there is little to stop one running at higher temperatures.

The point is of course one does not need to use open radiators they can be boxed one of mine is. But it's not suitable for use with a condensating boiler which is why I am still using an old boiler.

I am still unsure how one is suppose to use a radiator without a lock shield valve on a modern system but the Myson is still sold so there must be a way.

Where I worked some of the boilers used oil rather than water as the heat transfer medium and ran I think at 160 degs C the radiators were all enclosed and very small for the heat they gave out and all plumbed in series not parallel. But the returning oil was still around the 100 deg mark and clearly would not work with condensating boilers.

I like your foot note.
You lads read me wrong, I've always said boilers and systems should be wired by people who are ,compertent , being a boiler basher or a sparky does not make you compertent . There should be something better in place . If there was something like part P Mybe in the benchmark it would be a start

Well how about Plan B?

Since designing and wiring the controls for a gas burning appliance which does 2 things seems to be so fraught, why not have 2 appliances?

1) An appliance which just does CH, and doesn't even know that DHW exists.

2) An appliance which does on-demand hot water, and has never even seen a radiator?

Like most people I already have a 3rd, which I use for boiling eggs, for example, or roasting potatoes.

And a 4th, which I use for making tea and coffee.

And a 5th which I use to rapidly reheat food.

And if you want to stretch a point, a 6th which I use to burn sausages in the garden.

Don't see why there's anything so sacrosanct about combining space heating and hot water in one device if it means compromises for either function.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back