Johnward & VicVapour

Sponsored Links
It was crap.
Sorry; but I was very glad to have missed the 80's

I was glad I missed the 50's

I was and still am VERY glad that I grew up in the 50's when common sense prevailed and people were allowed to think for themselves. The nanny state was not the place one went to for safety, instead one looked out for one's own safety and (most) people also looked after the safety of each other.

Most people had a far less technical but in most case a far more contented life style than today.

And there was far less buck passing when things went wrong and no win no fee (barely) legal vultures making money out of other people's misfirtune did not exist.

Thats my view and maybe if ( or when ) technology fails then people who can think for themselves and look after their own safety may be the ones to prosper ( or survive ) while others fall apart from lack of rules, guidance and the nanny state to look after and provide for them.

Why this rant ? A neighbour's internet has failed and she is fearful of her children's enforced boredom until it is fixed.

Heating is nothing more than a series of switches. There's noting complicated about it at all.

I dont think NTC's Opentherm & ebus are simple switches? in fact not switches at all. A 40 year old S plan is just switches - but things have moved on - honest.

That's wierd because I wire up loads of heating systems for a local plumbing firm, and it's always just switches.

Room stat = switch
Frost stat = switch
cylinder stat = switch
limit stat = switch
programmer = switch(es)
thermocouple = switch
NTC = switch
zone valve = switch

Yeah there might be some fancy electronics in there but all it really boils down to is lots of switches

If you think an NTC is a switch then you know nothing about electronics.

Course it is. It gets to a certain preset temperature and something either starts or stops. That's a switch.

Nope not a switch and agree with Dan too a thermocouple isn't a switch either
it's a bit like saying a photocell is a switch

Matt

A photocell is a switch just like all those other things are.

When it gets dark outside does it just kind of magic the lights on or does it switch them on?

Just because someone isn't physically pressing a button, it is still switching when the external stimuli it is desingned to operate with reaches a certain value.

What about a relay? When power is applied to it's coil does it switch something on or off?

With a photocell when light levels drop below 70 lux it switches something on. It's the same theory with all the other devices.

Look lots of photocell switches

Sponsored Links
A rushed analogy - I apologise... trying to cook dinner.

I meant electric current/flowing water/battery/glass of water...

It is just as tenuous as calling an NTC or Thermocouple a switch. Especially as they don't switch rather they measure.

What happens as a result of the measuring may or may not cause something to switch.

What's the point of having it then if it doesn't cause anything to happen?

It may.

It may simply adjust something.

It does not necessarily result in something switching.

Just as your finger isn't a switch yet it can result in a light being switched off.

:LOL:

So come on then while I've got your attention, how do we wire up the boiler in the OP that's so complicated only a plumber can do it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back