Jury Service

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently got a letter telling me I've been summoned for Jury service. I read that people are chosen randomly from the electoral roll. But I've never voted before or registered to vote.

Has anyone here been chosen for Jury service even if you've never voted?

Sponsored Links
The electoral roll simply contains the names of all individuals that are eligible to vote, and it's a legal requirement to be on it. Whether you choose to exercise the right to vote or not doesn't matter.

I see. The confusion is, I read a comment where someone said if someone doesn't want to do jury service then they should not register to vote. So it appears they misunderstood then if everyone is automatically on the electoral roll.

Do you not want to do it? If so, why?

There can be some legitimate reasons to ask to be excused.

Sponsored Links
Do you not want to do it? If so, why?

There can be some legitimate reasons to ask to be excused.

I don't really. I don't have any training in law and I've never stepped into a court room in my life. So I wouldn't be confident about doing it.

It seems it's only for reasons such as medical reasons why someone can be excused.

You should be proud that you have been asked.

If you really don't want to do it just point & ask them "What does Dieu et mon droit mean, no really, what does it mean".

You can be excused for a few reasons, you're ill or have a disability, you're a carer (that's how I was excused) or you're a new parent. But I expect there are other reasons, perhaps you could get your employer to write and say how vital you are or such and such. You just fill in the form with reasons as to why you think you should be excused and perhaps back it up with anything useful. But if you haven't got one of the three above I suspect you're lumbered.

My attention span and listening skills are rubbish. I would be bored sitting in a jury.

I recently got a letter telling me I've been summoned for Jury service. I read that people are chosen randomly from the electoral roll. But I've never voted before or registered to vote.

Has anyone here been chosen for Jury service even if you've never voted?
I've been selected 4 times thus far. I did a stint in court last October/November, so when they sent me another summons (4 weeks ago?), I opted out based upon the fact that it would have been less than 2 years since I last did jury service, by the time this new summons came to court.

Four bleedin times. I know people my age that have never been selected.

Sponsored Links
Back