Jury Service

They are few and far between. Most circumstances mean that you can delay/defer it for a few months. Most folk must consider it inevitable.
Yes, I changed mine once due to a genuine holiday. Got quite a stern letter about my duties to society. They weren't happy at all.

Sponsored Links
I've been selected 4 times thus far. I did a stint in court last October/November, so when they sent me another summons (4 weeks ago?), I opted out based upon the fact that it would have been less than 2 years since I last did jury service, by the time this new summons came to court.

Four bleedin times. I know people my age that have never been selected.

You've had my share.
And then some.

I was selected once and spent three days in the 'waiting area' with others but never got picked to form a jury. Shame, as it was quite a high profile murder case!

My Dad got selected last year (at 70) and made up some reason not to go, and was excused.

Sponsored Links
Here's the info from the government website GOV.UK:

Ask to be excused from jury service

If it’s not possible for you to do jury service in the next 12 months, you can ask to be excused. You’ll only be allowed to do this in exceptional circumstances, for example:
  • you have a serious illness or disability that prevents you from doing jury service
  • you’re a full time carer of someone with an illness or disability
  • you’re a new parent and will not be able to serve at any other time in the next 12 months
You can also ask to be excused from jury service if you’ve done it in the last 2 years.

If you do not do jury service this time, you could still receive a summons in the future.

To ask to be excused, reply to your jury summons explaining your reasons in detail. You might need to give proof, for example, if you’re ill you might be asked for a letter from your doctor.

If your request is turned down, you can still ask to change the date of your jury service.

Possibly with a doctors letter supporting it.

I have been excused, years ago. Medical reason...

I have social anxiety and the doctors don’t know about it.

I wrote and said (truthfully) I would, on the dates, be within 4 weeks of my finals. No problem, never asked again in the following 40 years!

Doc will write u a letter...
I wouldn't take it for granted, not doubting the OP's integrity merely that the doc will likely need to be convinced medically rather than just writing a letter, for which they will likely charge for.

Sponsored Links
Back