Just driven 260 miles and guess what .....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One insect hit my windscreen.
Mainly countryside driving too.

Windscreens used to be covered by flies when driving distances.

Funny how things can drastically change and you just don't notice it. Years ago I noticed wasps don't seem to be a problem any more you hardly see them. At one time eat outside and you were plagued by them.
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52399373

Sponsored Links
There was a programme on Jeremy Vine last week about this - I mentioned it on here.
Coming home from Hampshire today and listening to Jeremy Vine talking about the lack of insects that get splattered on car windscreens when I saw a grasshopper type insect hanging on for dear life on my door mirror. He must have been holding on for a good 25 minutes after I first saw him. I pulled in to the services at Winchester to let him go. I was surprised his wings and antenna weren’t shredded as they weren’t half flapping around! I thought I saw him mouth the words 'Thank you' as I helped him down and set him free on a patch of grass. :rolleyes: I wished him a good life and left him to it. :)

View attachment 241354

View attachment 241353

Anyway, they had an expert on and apart from it being down to a combination of pesticides and unseasonable weather, the main culprit was that cars are more aerodynamic these days and insects just whoosh over the top of most cars.

I have an old van and there is as many insect splatters as the wifes state of the art flashy merc. I'm not believing the aerodynamic diversion.

It depends where you are, some places near the river where we live and there is a fair amount of insects that you can hear hitting the windscreen at dusk, but it is still a fraction of what it used to be. We're seriously bolluxing up our environment,

It says in that report that ants are on the decline - no they’re in my effin gardens :cautious:

Sponsored Links

Funny how things can drastically change and you just don't notice it. Years ago I noticed wasps don't seem to be a problem any more you hardly see them. At one time eat outside and you were plagued by them.
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52399373

It's always the insects that go first, then the flowers, then the food, then the mammals.

Aerodynamic theory is plausible. A few years ago on a motorcycle trip through France this was how my mates lid would get between service stations. He had a sports bike and at fast motorway speeds he would say that if he sat too high, he got buffeted by the wind. If he sat too low, his weight pushes him onto the tank and he got cramped but if he hit the right spot, the wind rush has a negative effect on his upper body and took the weight off his upper body/shoulders/wrists. Unfortunately, that sweet spot as well as the upright position resulted in much more insect impact. Tucked down onto the tank making himself more aerodynamic resulted in very few insects on his visor.

ED5B352B-20FA-46A9-875E-1ADD41E2305C.jpeg

Maybe they've fled to more tolerant countries?

Insectexit...

PS. I wonder how long it will take for a certain poster to get in his usual one liner :LOL:

20yrs ago & a gentle 30-50ml ride on my bike in the early evening & you'd need to stop at least once to clear the flies off the visor.

Nowadays . . . . Lucky if you get 1 or 2.

I've also noticed it's rare these days to walk into a gnat swarm when out walking the dogs?

Aerodynamic theory is plausible. A few years ago on a motorcycle trip through France this was how my mates lid would get between service stations. He had a sports bike and at fast motorway speeds he would say that if he sat too high, he got buffeted by the wind. If he sat too low, his weight pushes him onto the tank and he got cramped but if he hit the right spot, the wind rush has a negative effect on his upper body and took the weight off his upper body/shoulders/wrists. Unfortunately, that sweet spot as well as the upright position resulted in much more insect impact. Tucked down onto the tank making himself more aerodynamic resulted in very few insects on his visor.

View attachment 241872
Needs to grip the tank with his knees and keep the weight of his arms. Or buy a tank bag to rest on.

All the insects seem to be in my garden.......

Not read the thread, but it's all to do with pesticides used by farmers and natural habitats being demolished for the ever growing population.

Sponsored Links
Back