Just suppose....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone posted a message on the forum saying that they were in need of assistance and needed someone to ring the emergency services for them. They supplied a name and address and maybe even a phone number. What would you do?

Sponsored Links
Ahh but how would you know if it was genuine or someone pratting about?

If that person has time to log on and post a distress call then surely they've time to dial 999.
It must be quicker than trying to type fast.

Sponsored Links
Paper Spark is absolutely right. If you did ring the emergency services then at best you could get a black mark against you as a time waster, at worst there might be a sinister reason behind the message. Like if the emergency services turned up at the address and found a dead body/ies. You might have difficulty getting out of that one......

Sorry, mandiehun, you are a kind lady but a little impetuous on this occasion I fear.
P

What if the post said that the person was in their bedroom with their laptop and had fallen badly and could hardly move but could just reach the laptop. The only phone was downstairs and they lived alone? Would that be different?

If they couldn't reach the 'phone, what was the point of giving their number ? ;)

So when you pass the info on to the emergency services they could verify the number with the address. They could then ring the number to see if anyone alswered the phone.

Edit: This post has been amended for no good reason and without explanation. This is VERY rude mods. :evil:

you could ring the police local to their area on the non emergency line and explain the situation and request that they do a welfare visit and depending on the result, they will take the required action, social services, ambulance, fire , etc.

If a dead body was found then all stops would be pulled out checking internet records etc.

you could, ask for details of their family or a neighbour and ring them to call round.
keep them on line if possible and ask them pertinent questions about how they are feeling.. what happened etc, to pass on to the emergency services if required.

If people did this out of malice, ie pretended to be someone else and asked for help giving a false address, then they may be investigated... especially if this was targetted and was part of a series of harrassment.

police would go full stop. its their primary duty to protect life. We used to get all sorts of wierd sources for welfare calls. In this day and age they wouldnt dare not go. If you pass the details on in good faith therewould be no problem.

Well at least I know where to post if I'm ever stuck and need assistance. The reasons behind the post arose from me feeling a little unwell recently. I couldn't find the phone or my mobile and there was no way I was going to drag myself into the street and embarrass myself. It later occurred to me that I could have used the net in an emergency but wasn't sure if an ethereal distress call would be taken seriously. Anyhow it never came to that but it's heartening to know that help is at hand.....as long as paper spark and persimmon aren't the only one's logged in.:cool:

Solo - would the forum really have been the right place to look for assistance - after all you could have been dead by the time they reached Albania...........

Persimmon said:
Solo - would the forum really have been the right place to look for assistance - after all you could have been dead by the time they reached Albania...........

But would he/she ( solo ) not state where they are when asking for help.

I still want to know why my last post was edited by the mods. As far as I recall there was nothing even remotely against any forum rule. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back