Key stuck in my lock and will not turn (Avocet ABS Eurocylinder)

I've had a few people say they can't get these ABS Avocet keys out.

Many try and remove the key in the vertical position.

They don't realise the key slot needs to be horizontal to insert or remove the key.

There are two horizontal positions where you can remove the key, depending upon whether the mechanism is locked or unlocked.

Sponsored Links
The key needs to be turned to the midway position between 1 and 2 on a clock face if it has been set correctly when fitted.
This lines up the nib inside the barrel with the key slot vertical. Obviously you need to keep the key in this position until you have withdrawn the barrel.
Never use WD40 or any oil on moveable locks. They attract dust and dirt which can cause problems. Graphite dust, (or pencil lead dust, (which is actually a form of graphite)), is the only thing you should use to lubricate a door lock.

Never use WD40 or any oil on moveable locks. They attract dust and dirt which can cause problems. Graphite dust, (or pencil lead dust, (which is actually a form of graphite)), is the only thing you should use to lubricate a door lock.

I always put WD40 in my car door locks to repel moisture in the winter so they don't freeze. Also not sure how I would get a power right into the lock unless they do an aerosol can of it.

Sponsored Links
As Alec says, it comes in a puffer bottle but I find it easier to pour some onto a sheet of paper and wipe the key through it then slide the key in and out the lock a few times. I then gently tip the remainder over the latch/lock and work them backwards and forwards a few times.

I've seen lockies use liquid lighter fuel, which is a sort of refined version of petrol. Yanks call it naptha iirc. It dissolves grease oil and crud and washes it out, then completely evaporates. QUid a squirty can, never be without it. Good for cleaning all sorts.

Must admit I use WD40 too. If things gum up, you use some more, innit. Besides, I lurve the smell.

Wd 40 will cause lock to fail.
You need to use graphite.
I sprayed wd 40 in car locks and buggered one up. Others are OK

But this multi-faceted product has limitations – it should never be used to lubricate locks! The main reason for this is that WD40 is not a true lubricant; it is a water and oil displacing solvent. This means that it can actually remove any lube already in the lock, leaving it dry

As Securespark has said, this is an Avocet ABS lock, with a horizontal keyway, pin-in-pins and a magnetic anti-pick pin, as well as dimpled keys.
Given my experience with these, and that the OP's key was turned to 2 o'clock, I would be very surprised if the lock barrel was at fault, and would guess that it is the doors mechanism that is the likely culprit.

And again, given the complexity of the lock, WD40 in the keyway would be a very bad idea. Avocet recommend their own graphite powder for lubrication, but given the dimpled key, it doesn't tend to have the friction issues of a standard key.

Well, those are my thoughts anyway. ;)

Last edited:
I suppose if your lock has bits of Old Holborn, pocket fluff, and dead skin, it'll need flushing out with something.

There's a load of hogwash about on WD40 - dodgy article above. It's an OLD product, there are better things for most of what it does, now.
Try the manufacturer:

When I dismantle old locks, I clean off old grease and oil with white spirit, it is usually hardened with age even when they are in sealed packing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back