Kitchen Light Fitting - regs for changing existing fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

can someone please clarify the rule for the kitchen light fitting?

I have moved into a house which has a 3way mains halogen fitting on the kitchen ceiling.

I would like to replace this for a standard light socket / ceiling rose for use with a energy efficient light bulb.

I "believe" only a part p certified qualified sparky can replace it as it is in a "special area" is that right?

thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
Such work is allowed under the guise of maintenance, so the Part P police won't get you.

Be safe.

Part P police in my case would be local housing association m8.

We can do electrical work under a minor works scheme, but we have to fill in wether its done diy / contractor & obviously be able to recognise what we can & cannot do ourselves :)

thanks for the info & speedy reply :) :) :)

I have moved into a house which has a 3way mains halogen fitting on the kitchen ceiling.

I would like to replace this for a standard light socket / ceiling rose for use with a energy efficient light bulb.
A step in the right direction, BUT a 58w fluorescent striplight would do a much better job of lighting the room - IMO pendants aren't that great for lighting a kitchen. A single point source doesn't provide good task lighting.

Go for a twin fitting, with a diffuser, they look more professional than a bare tube.

Sponsored Links
Steve what happend to design over function.

Strip lights are not worthy of any kitchen in the 21st century :D

my wife once dared to venture into my shed... :eek:

she saw a brand new twin flourescent fitting with diffuser sat there, spare. looking for a home...

her only words were along the lines of monstrosity, kitchen, dont even think about it & divorce... :confused:

so i think i'll be sticking to the standard fitting for now :)

(and i was never good balancing a tube fitting while trying to screw it in at the opposite end lol)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back