Laying cable in driveway drainage channel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am planning on putting two lighting bollards at the entrance of my driveway.

The easiest feed is from the garage but in order to power both lights, somehow I need to cross a cable across the driveway!

There’s a drainage channel at the entrance of the driveway to capture water run-off. I’ve tried researching the subject but are there any rules/regs about running a cable through it?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Couldn't you lift the drain gulley and excavate for the cable, add a polythene yellow warning tape and backfill? Then replace the gulley and cover?
Cable is supposed to be 18"/ 50cm down

Thanks, I’ll take a look. From memory, the gulley wouldn’t be accessible to life out, there is a small “service” hatch that lifts out but the rest has been block paved in except for a thin (approx. 1 inch) gap for the water to run into. Perhaps I’ll post a pic to help explain better...

Any good reason why this cable has to be at 240 volts?
I'd suggest put 12v or 24v lamps in your bollards, link them via your ACO drain with pond pump cable and back to a transformer somewhere inside. Mark the cable route to reduce the odds of someone damaging it and off you go.

There's a similar discussion on the IET website https://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=41285

Sponsored Links
A cable in a drainage channel will trap grit, leaves, debris etc., so will need frequent cleaning, which will be hindered by the cable being in it. I once ran a hose pipe in a drainage channel for a while, so I know!

Couldn't you lift the drain gulley and excavate for the cable, add a polythene yellow warning tape and backfill? Then replace the gulley and cover?
Cable is supposed to be 18"/ 50cm down

There's no requirement for any specific depth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back