LED lights failing

Sunray got it in one, control transformers are optimise for control work and shoudnt be used for other purpuses.
What do you mean by a 'control transformer' and could/would a ≥2.5kW transformer qualify as such?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
"The WV range is perfect for series or parallel connections. Our WV transformers have multi-voltage inputs of either 0/380/400/420/440/460/480V or 0/500/550/600/690V. The output options are either 0/24V 0/24V for 0/110/120V 0/110/120V. Ratings range from 50VA to 3kVA. These transformers are perfect for panel builders (for use within control panels), OEMs, and many other industrial and commercial applications. "

What do you mean by a 'control transformer' and could/would a ≥2.5kW transformer qualify as such?

Kind Regards, John
my transformer theory isnt to hot, what I understand is the laminations are insulated from each other to stop edicurrents. to make more power for switching serges the weld them together but it means the regulation is worse and edicurrents can flow around the bits and edicurrents mean loads of harmonics.

i have fitted control trannys as big as 7kw. ETE dont go up that big

control trannys need big primary mcbs for the inrush 200va ETE needs 6b or 4d or 4a bs88

Sponsored Links
my transformer theory isnt to hot, what I understand is the laminations are insulated from each other to stop edicurrents. to make more power for switching serges the weld them together but it means the regulation is worse and edicurrents can flow around the bits and edicurrents mean loads of harmonics.

All transformers with laminations have insulated lams for the reason you quoted.

Seemingly not, if what we're being told is correct - but that was obviously what I was wondering.

All transformers with laminations have insulated lams for the reason you quoted.
thats right and control trannys have them welded which brigdes the insulation.
you can see the welds in the pic earlier its a lineacross the side on the left and a little dent on the right level with the top of the bobin

Small welds at the edges are neither then or there. The main point is eddy currents cannot pass from lam to lam where the magnetic field is strongest in the centre.

Small welds at the edges are neither then or there.? The main point is eddy currents cannot pass from lam to lam where the magnetic field is strongest in the centre.

It's been 35 years since I learnt about transformer construction but Tommy's post has rekindled something in the grey matter. I confirm the additional harmonics in control transformers when the load is reactive.
I totally agree that a control transformer such as the ETE's are not my choice for loads such as described in the OP and have no problem accepting this may be a cause of the failures.

It's been 35 years since I learnt about transformer construction but Tommy's post has rekindled something in the grey matter. I confirm the additional harmonics in control transformers when the load is reactive.
I'm still not clear as to what is meant by a "control transformer". Are we now saying that it's this weld across the laminations which is the main distinguishing/'defining' feature?

Kind Regards, John

I'm still not clear as to what is meant by a "control transformer". Are we now saying that it's this weld across the laminations which is the main distinguishing/'defining' feature?

Kind Regards, John
It is typical of control transformers.
As Tommy mentioned they do have to have unexpectedly high primary OCD's for the inrush, especially if they are fully loaded.

They are likely to be subjected to high and regular switching loads which 'normal' transformers would struggle with (I have replaced a significant number in the last 15 years or so with control versions).

They also have to cope with significant half wave rectified loads which can easily saturate a 'normal'

They do have high standing current and 'strange' regulation properties in as much as the secondary voltage tends to drop quickly with a fairly small load then hold up well to full load and beyond.

Maybe it is - but, as I keep asking, what exactly IS a "control transformer"?

Kind Regards, John
It is simply a transformer designed for control panel use. I'm sure there is an official name for them in just the same way as vacuum cleaners are known hoovers.

A control panel is just a type of enclosure, and, per se, has absolutely no electrical properties, except possibly EMI screening.

Clearly transformers with ratings of several kVA are not performing a "control" function - they may be controlled by other components in the panel, and thus be part of a system which provides control over motors, pumps, lighting, etc, but why does the transformer need to be of a special type? If I have some kind of control logic which controls loads supplied by a transformer, why do I need a "control transformer"? What is special about a "control transformer", and why is that specialness of such importance that it has to be provided at the expense of destroying the loads it supplies?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back