LED lights failing

n a way" at all, please?
Harmonics is one possible problem, there are others such as voltage spikes from other equipment, induced voltages from adjacent circuits, incorrect voltage due to load variations in the rest of the system and so on.

Sponsored Links
If the varistor is (effectively or literally) in series with the supply.
Metal oxide varistors across the supply would be more usual, to protect the LED module from excessive voltage.
Excess voltage or spikes over an extended period will cause it to fail, and failure modes are either short out the supply in a blackened mess or fail open in which case the LED module will be damaged.

'driverless' meaning there is no separate power supply or driver,

So there is a driver albeit integral to the assembly of LED(s) and heatsink.

More accurate the lamp is direct on line ( as in no power supply module required between line and lamp )

So there is a driver albeit integral to the assembly of LED(s) and heatsink.

Yes. This is a typical example:

driverless_led.jpg

While 'driverless' is not entirely accurate, it's just like many other terms which are used incorrectly all the time.

Sponsored Links
terms which are used incorrectly all the time.

Tell me about them.

There are driver less LED lamps. They have two strings of about 80 LED elements and a resistor in series connected directly to the mains supply.One strin conducts on the positive half cycle and the secnd string conducts on the negative half cycles. A slightly better design replaces the resistor with a crude constant current device but that woudld be a driver.

There are driver less LED lamps. They have two strings of about 80 LED elements and a resistor in series connected directly to the mains supply.One strin conducts on the positive half cycle and the secnd string conducts on the negative half cycles. A slightly better design replaces the resistor with a crude constant current device but that woudld be a driver.
Such a system obviously requires that the LED elements can tolerate the reverse potential during the non-conducting half-cycles. What is the typical maximum reverse voltage of an LED element?

Kind Regards, John

What is the typical maximum reverse voltage of an LED element?

Typically the reverse breakdown voltage is at least 150% of the forward voltage. The conducting string acts as a voltage limiter and ( with a shared resistor ) the reverse voltage across the non conducting string is lower than the total of the EDIT reverse breakdown voltages

Last edited:
Typically the reverse breakdown voltage is at least 150% of the forward voltage.
Fair enough. If they work, one has to assume that that is adequate!
The conducting string acts as a voltage limiter and ( with a shared resistor ) the reverse voltage across the non conducting string is lower than the total of the breakdown resistors/
[slight typo correction needed there, I think ]
Again, fair enough. Although I imagine that the voltage drop across that common resistor would be fairly small, by definition the total reverse voltage across the non-conducting string would be the same as the total forward voltage across the conducting string - so that, with that 150% 'leeway', that should be fine.

Kind Regards, John

Harmonics is one possible problem, there are others such as voltage spikes from other equipment, induced voltages from adjacent circuits, incorrect voltage due to load variations in the rest of the system and so on.

The fittings have failed with nothing else starting or running, either on this equipment or elsewhere in the building so I think I'm ruling out voltage spikes or variations.

I might look at what filtering I can fit after the transformer, and give the transformer supplier a call, might be a problem they have resolved in the past.

Thanks all for the ideas and input, and am pleased it provoked a discussion :)

Last edited:
Sorry, missed this one on page 1!

Fair enough - so do I take it that there is one transformer, fed from one phase-phase of a 3-phase supply (with a neutral available) supplying all 8 lighting units?

Kind Regards, John

Yep, although there is no neutral easily available.

Update.

After some email dialogue with the lighting manufacturer, a 5uF capacitor across the transformer secondary has fixed the issue. No buzzing or failing lights.

Thanks all again.

After some email dialogue with the lighting manufacturer, a 5uF capacitor across the transformer secondary has fixed the issue. No buzzing or failing lights.
Thanks for the update.

Whilst you obviously can know that the buzzing has gone, is it not rather premature to be talking about "no failing lights"?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back