Life for Death by Dangerous Driving?

Not like this (a bypass with a 20mph limit in Wales)

Sponsored Links
I just want them to stick to their own rules:

20 limits are supposed to work without excessive reliance on speed limit enforcement. Relatively few councils ever reverse the plan when a 20 limit is ignored. If a speed limit doesn't make any sense it will be routinely ignored. Then we risk people assuming all limits are wrong.

Its the same as solid white lines on long straight roads - people don't see why they can't overtake so they ignore them. Council even implement no overtaking lines for this purpose. Doesn't make any sense.

A few days a go I was overtaken on solid lines by a couple of motorbikes. The rider didn't notice the side road on the right which had a car pull up to it half way through their over take. Thankfully the emerging car looked both ways, before turning left. Many wouldn't.

My guess is they have got used to it being safe.

Last edited:
Speed bumps work on me because I don't want my car wrecked. Speed limits work on me because I don't want a fine/points.

A bit like some on here, when speed bumps were first introduced in my area, I lived on a street where a set was sited in front of my house. Granted some people slowed down ... many didn't. It actually worries me slightly re buying my next car which will be used. I dread to think what underlying damage might have been done if the previous owner enjoyed going over speed bumps without slowing at all.

Something most of us can probably agree on is some 20 zones definitely seem like overkill. Even some of the 60 down to 40 zones you think 'eh?'

Gradually they want to slow us down to a crawl. Probably part of their ongoing initiative to get more people using public transport.

Sponsored Links
Probably part of their ongoing initiative to get more people using public transport.
Or onto push bikes - One of the greatest off-puts to cycling is just how unpleasant being on the roads is, with fast, impatient, bad tempered motorists.

These 20 mph zones need extended and the enforced with an iron fist. (£200 for every mph over then multiplied by the vehicles weight in tons)

Society needs to start cycling, not is it a must for the environment, it is also a must for our health, we're one of the fattest most unhealthy nation on the planet. Getting people cycling may very well save our NHS who are now overwhelmed by fat car obsessed people.

If a speed limit doesn't make any sense it will be routinely ignored. Then we risk people assuming all limits are wrong.
They never make sense to petrol heads and speed merchants. A few penalty points, a ban and a ball-busting fine will soon remind them which speed limits they can or can not ignore. (y)

A momentary lapse of concentration . . . BANG . . . Rest of your life in jail.

Sounds like one of them popular opinion of The Sun readers laws to me.
Dangerous driving is a lot more than a momentary lapse in concentration. If the new law stops idiots using the car as a weapon its a good law

No it isn't. You just made that up didn't you.
we have a very fat, very unhealthy nation who obsess about cars and put enormous strain on the NHS. If these people were encouraged to ride bikes then without a shadow of a doubt, they would loose weight and become more healthy, clearly this would take pressure of the NHS. Making the roads safer by rigorously enforcing 20mph speed limits would go along way in making the roads more attractive to cycle on.

Or onto push bikes - One of the greatest off-puts to cycling is just how unpleasant being on the roads is, with fast, impatient, bad tempered motorists.

These 20 mph zones need extended and the enforced with an iron fist. (£200 for every mph over then multiplied by the vehicles weight in tons)

Society needs to start cycling, not is it a must for the environment, it is also a must for our health, we're one of the fattest most unhealthy nation on the planet. Getting people cycling may very well save our NHS who are now overwhelmed by fat car obsessed people.
Everyone did after the olympics and then people got bored and stopped again. I see a lot of bike shops closing now.
I used to race TT and never had a problem racing on duel carriage ways. Most drivers just give you space. The future of transport is probably more electric scooters, now that the authorities are starting to legalise them.

Everyone did after the olympics and then people got bored and stopped again. I see a lot of bike shops closing now.
I used to race TT and never had a problem racing on duel carriage ways. Most drivers just give you space. The future of transport is probably more electric scooters, now that the authorities are starting to legalise them.
And they realised just how unpleasant and dangerous the roads are - and you shouldn't be racing on the public highway! what are you like with a wheelbarrow, have to go faster than the next wheelbarrow? calm down.

we have a very fat, very unhealthy nation who obsess about cars and put enormous strain on the NHS. If these people were encouraged to ride bikes then without a shadow of a doubt, they would loose weight and become more healthy, clearly this would take pressure of the NHS. Making the roads safer by rigorously enforcing 20mph speed limits would go along way in making the roads more attractive to cycle on.
Have you factored in how many will die of heart attack while riding your cycles?

I would like to be free to ride my bike when I want and drive my car when I want.
I use the car for journeys longer which require me to be presentable and not sweating, when I do shopping, dropping someone etc.
They're making this impossible by charging a lot of money to keep a car on the road and making motorists go slower than cyclists.
And we're supposed to be free.

And they realised just how unpleasant and dangerous the roads are - and you shouldn't be racing on the public highway! what are you like with a wheelbarrow, have to go faster than the next wheelbarrow? calm down.
It’s actually quite interesting law. The whole reason Cycle TTing came about was because road racing on bicycles was outlawed. TTing exploits a loophole.

But the point is, it’s not the perception of roads being dangerous that gets people riding bikes. It’s seeing bikes as interesting and fun.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back