Life for Death by Dangerous Driving?

I've maybe gone a bit OT. My point is, whether drivers are competent or not, many of them drive like idiots to varying degrees. Surely many of us on here drive in built up areas on a regular basis. You're trying to tell me cars aren't darting around here there everywhere at excessive speed, not leaving sufficient gaps etc? Just try watching some of the compilation videos on YT, many of those that post videos thinking someone else is in the wrong seem oblivious to the fact they themselves are often a contributing factor to the incident.

I would judge 90% of drivers had considerable room to improve their driving quite dramatically, some of what I see is absolutely appalling. The big surprise is that for the most part they get away with it and there are not more accidents due to poor driving and impatience.

Sponsored Links
Classic example of not thinking right.
But you said that driving very fast enlightens your awareness?
By your logic and reasoning, motorists should speed up where there is a build up of pedestrians, children and the general public, no?

Yeah it's a weird one, what with cars becoming ever more like mobile multimedia devices as opposed to vehicles for getting from a to b.

My car is pretty well equipped in that respect, TV, radio, DVD etc.. but none are ever in use on any, but very quiet roads.

Sponsored Links
pedestrians and cyclists are not allowed on a motor way

Neither is any vehicle afaik under 50 cc

Or not capable of a minimum speed of 50 mph

So I dunno what noseall is on about

Haven't read everything, but is this new law all about driving your car as a weapon into crowds?

So I dunno what noseall is on about
Reduction of speeds using speed bumps etc, and how it save lives around schools and where pedestrians and joe public are prevalent. Its the gist of this thread and nowt to do with the autobahn or motorways. Do keep up dummy.

Reduction of speeds using speed bumps etc, and how it save lives around schools and where pedestrians and joe public are prevalent. Its the gist of this thread and nowt to do with the autobahn or motorways. Do keep up dummy.

Than why did you mention pedestrians and push bikes on motor ways than

Do get on board noseall
You dummy

A momentary lapse of concentration . . . BANG . . . Rest of your life in jail.

Sounds like one of them popular opinion of The Sun readers laws to me.
No. Cases of driving like an utter dick or driving drunk is not a MLOC.

Driving uninsured, without licence ot MOT I consider is just as serious.

A car is a murder weapon and driving is a privilege not a right, and rights must be earned. Removing all people of bad character (i.e. those convicted of any criminal offence) from the roads would cut the number of accidents drastically.

It is too easy to get a driving licence. Also we accept foreign licensed drivers without question.

Also, there has to be limit on engine power and the speed a vehicle can do. No government that imposes a speed limit of 70mph on public roads yet allows vehicles capable of speeds over 70mph to drive on public roads can be taken seriously when it makes pronouncements on how much it cares about road safety.

Are you aware that accidents in 20mph zones have increased 150% in the last 3 years. It seems the more 20mph zones are rolled out, the more they are ignored. There are certain cities and towns that have blanket 20mph zones and it doesn't make any difference to casualty reduction. Speeding fines are up though.

There is a safe speed for the road and conditions, irrelevant of the speed limit. Limits used to be set according to the 85th percentile of this - i.e. the speed that 85% of drivers using the road choose to drive. About 20 years ago that was changed to 50%, which led to ever decreasing speed limits. Net result, no reduction in casualties. Its way more complex than the physics of mass x speed = impact force.

Haven't read everything, but is this new law all about driving your car as a weapon into crowds?
Yeah, that occurred to me as one or two incidents of cars being driven deliberately at people may be behind this change in the law. I have no data but seem to remember more incidents of this type in Europe - one recently in Germany - but it seems a simple mistake can be punished as hard as a terrorist attack.
The American woman who killed Harry Dunn was an instance of a terrible mistake leading to his death; one which may've been avoided by a simple sticker on the dashboard reminding her to drive on the correct side of the road in this country.
Somehow, a couple of years and a driving ban doesn't seem fair when someone's life has been taken, so i'd say a tougher sentence would see justice done.

Sponsored Links
Back