Light with multiple bulbs burnt wiring help

Another pic of the burnt wiring from other side. What should the next step be?
15167364257221185064816.jpg

Sponsored Links
It looks like the wiring is burnt at the end only. Can it be cut back, carefully reinsulated?

What are those plastic crimps at the end of the wires?

Well you’re gonna wanna cut the burnt wires in the middle, and then it looks like each arm is screwed in individually so once you’ve cut the cables you could remove and rewire each arm one at a time.

You can’t really reinsulate the cables but if there is some slack you could re-terminate.

That thing is called a wire but, but as you can see, they’re crap

Sponsored Links
If going for a complete rewire, rather than trying to salvage what is there:
1: Chop all the wires, and untangle them.
2: loosen the cross head screws and pull out the 12 legs, taking care not to strain the remaining wiring inside the legs
3: loosen the grub screw in the top of each lamp holder and pull it off the metal leg.
4: post a photo of how the wiring joins the bulb holders

I think trying to salvage that would be fiddly, but if it can be done it might save a fair bit of time and wire. You could start by cutting away the obviously damaged connection and any scorched wire and see if there is any loose wire you can pull up. you should have 12 smaller wires, one thicker one, and a loop of thicker wire joining the two?

If going for a complete rewire, rather than trying to salvage what is there:
1: Chop all the wires, and untangle them.
2: loosen the cross head screws and pull out the 12 legs, taking care not to strain the remaining wiring inside the legs
3: loosen the grub screw in the top of each lamp holder and pull it off the metal leg.
4: post a photo of how the wiring joins the bulb holders

I think trying to salvage that would be fiddly, but if it can be done it might save a fair bit of time and wire. You could start by cutting away the obviously damaged connection and any scorched wire and see if there is any loose wire you can pull up. you should have 12 smaller wires, one thicker one, and a loop of thicker wire joining the two?

Correct there are 12 small wires. One thick one and a loop of thick joining two. I've untangled them a bit and I think there is enough slack to work with.

Interestingly there are 8 small wires in one crimp and 4 in the other? Does it matter that they are not equal?

when it comes to joining wires, what tools/experience do you have? soldering? crimping?

... That thing is called a wire but. ...

I think that's a typo, I would call it a wire nut. I also think they are a bit crap

None for soldering but I have crimped wires before.

I've cut one of the thicker wires and luckily it does have slack so pulled through. The small wires look ok insulation intact. The loop wire is completely done so needs replacing.

So whats best to replace these wire nuts with?

Interestingly there are 8 small wires in one crimp and 4 in the other? Does it matter that they are not equal?

That's just because one of the joints had two thick wires and the other only one. it's just to make space.

If you have enough slack to work with it's just a question of joining all the wires together and insulating them from the body of the fitting. You can change how they are grouped if that makes it easier. The how maybe depends on how much space there is in the part of the fitting you removed?

got any mates handy with a soldering iron? that would be my preferred route I think, with a few layers of heat shrink over.

Ah I see that makes sense re:grouping of wires.

So if I went down the solder route, that negates the need for the loop then I presume. It's just a case of keeping all wires together in contact with each other and obviously well insulated from the casing via heat shrink. Seems logical to me...

Sorry for newbie questions but that's why I'm here ;) and thank you for your patience and help!

soldering 13 wires all together would be a bit rough, so I would still use a bit of new wire to make a link between smaller groups.

this is the right kind of idea: http://www.instructables.com/id/Soldering-multiple-wires-for-a-distribution-joint/

I would double layer the heat shrink to be on the safe side, and make sure there are no spiky bits that could pierce the heat shrink from the inside.

crimping might also be possible, it's hard to tell without having it in front of me - it typically needs a bit more space and you need to be able to get the crimping tool into position

Ok great, thanks. I'll have a chat with an electrician friend and see what he reccomends re crimp vs. solder.

Thanks for the advice.

when it comes to joining wires, what tools/experience do you have? soldering? crimping?

I think that's a typo, I would call it a wire nut. I also think they are a bit crap

That's not a wire nut, it's a closed end crimp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back