Lighting two room with one switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I’m asking this question not for a diy but more for to find out how much mess it’s gonna be...

So basically what we want doing is two rooms one switch either side of what will be now one big room, wall that separates both rooms will be removed which includes a switch for each lighting room 1 and 2.

Now I know very little with electrics but I’m gathering we can’t join both circuits at the switch’s we will be removing? And a new switched wire is gonna have to be put in to either switch?

Any info guys would be great like I said need to know the mess this is gonna cause before Xmas

Cheers

Sponsored Links
At the moment chances are you have a mains supply to both light fittings with the live going out to the switch and back to the live terminal of the light fitting. I'm not totally sure if you want to move the switches or not.
If you want to be able to use either switch to change the state of both lights you'll need an additional core to each switch plus a connection between the two ceiling lights.
If you want new light switches you'd disconnect the existing ones and chase the wall where you want the new one.
Will there be two doors into the new room? If so for simplicity I'd recommend just the one switch if possible. Then if it's an existing switch, you might not need to run any cables at all, you just need to change some wiring at the two ceiling roses. But chances are you would need a new core between the two ceiling roses. That probably would only need a few floorboards up above, or if it's a loft to lift some insulation.

The title of the thread is
So, if you want to do that,
you need to remove the unwanted switch and disconnect it at (wherever it connects to the light, maybe in the ceiling)

Then run a cable from the remaining light to the second light. You may need to run a cable to do this, or there may be a convenient cable in place.
This can be discovered by on site inspection......

The title of the thread is
It is, but ....
So basically what we want doing is two rooms one switch either side of what will be now one big room ...
... which, by my counting, is actually two switches, with 2-way switching, switching simultaneously both of what are currently lights with separate switches in separate rooms.

... but I may have misunderstood.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
That's how I understood it. Two 1 gang 2 way switches controlling two lights.

If access to the wiring is difficult, the cables at the old switches could be jointed and extended to new positions, with a 3 core+e linking them.

Would be handy to know if both lights are on the same lighting at the mains before speculating too much.

Pictures of everything would be useful here before continuing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back