Lightwave switches - 2 gang and 4 gang - any fitters out there?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I consider myself to be a competent avid DIY-er., even in terms of electrics. I've changed sockets, light switches, and ceiling light fittings. However, I was well an truly stumped today.

I purchased some lightwave smart switches before lockdown, and thought a nice bank holiday activity would be to fit them. I have 1 x 4 gang switch and 1 x 2 gang. The 2 gang switches are also controlled from the 4 gang.

The lightwave instructions aren't exactly comprehensive. The seem to only cover the simplest of use cases. As lightwave connectors vary slightly to normal connections, it's difficult to tell what I should connect where.

I think I figured out the 2 gang switch - but the 4 has just confused the hell out of me. There are so many brown wires, some with writing on like 'UUL' and 'KIT'. I can't make head nor tail of it.

Photos of the wires below. I'm quite happy to get an electrician out (if any will come during lockdown), but I at least wanted to know if anyone could point me in the right direction first?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_7536.jpg
    IMG_7536.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_7541.jpg
    IMG_7541.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 243
Sponsored Links
Or utility and kitchen.

BTW. In the first pictures there are a couple of devices hanging off the back of the switches. Are they lights of some sort?

First thing to realise is that a four gang switch is not anything special, complicated or magic.

It is four completely separate switches with no manufactured connections between each of the four.

Each switch is a triangle. In your case the triangles alternate up and down.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I consider myself to be a competent avid DIY-er., even in terms of electrics. I've changed sockets, light switches, and ceiling light fittings. However, I was well an truly stumped today.

I purchased some lightwave smart switches before lockdown, and thought a nice bank holiday activity would be to fit them. I have 1 x 4 gang switch and 1 x 2 gang. The 2 gang switches are also controlled from the 4 gang.

The lightwave instructions aren't exactly comprehensive. The seem to only cover the simplest of use cases. As lightwave connectors vary slightly to normal connections, it's difficult to tell what I should connect where.

I think I figured out the 2 gang switch - but the 4 has just confused the hell out of me. There are so many brown wires, some with writing on like 'UUL' and 'KIT'. I can't make head nor tail of it.

Photos of the wires below. I'm quite happy to get an electrician out (if any will come during lockdown), but I at least wanted to know if anyone could point me in the right direction first?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Steve
Is that a stray brown wire in the righthand picture?

Is that a stray brown wire in the righthand picture?
Sort of - it popped out when I unscrewed the switch from the wall. It was connected to the terminal right by it.

First thing to realise is that a four gang switch is not anything special, complicated or magic. It is four completely separate switches with no manufactured connections between each of the four. Each switch is a triangle. In your case the triangles alternate up and down.
But 2 of the 4 gang switches also control the 2 gang switches.

BTW. In the first pictures there are a couple of devices hanging off the back of the switches. Are they lights of some sort?

Yes, there were lights behind all the light switches when I moved in.

Hall and Kitchen would seem likely.
Or utility and kitchen.

The kitchen lights have their own switch and I don't have a utility :(.

The biggest issue is the lightwave connectors are completely different to normal switches. Instructions say to connect all L1s to the live terminal and L2s to another terminal. But I can't connect 4 wires to one terminal. That seems crazy and they won't fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back