live and neutral lights up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed my large electric cooker when i decorated ,and now when ive connected it back i cant get it to work. I put a neon headed screwdriver on the terminals and when the cooker is connected both live and neutral light up,but with the cooker is removed only the live lights up.(As i presume it should) It worked fine befor ,i cant understand it. Ive put a plug on the cooker just to see if the cooker broke when i moved it but the clock worked ok.
Would be so grateful for any help

Sponsored Links
Set the clock. Seriously.

You have voltage.

Many new cookers have a relay in the clock to turn the oven off when the timer expires. Not setting the clock = relay wont close. Our gas oven has a relay like this - it even shuts off the gas for us.

i only put the plug on temporary to see if the cooker was broke.It has to be wired to the connecting box,and when it is not even the clock comes on

my cooker too, pain in the butt trying to rememebr which buttons to push in the correct order

Sponsored Links
The clock does not come on at all, no electric is getting to it

Mine to, the wife put a pot roast in the other week after I had been adding a few lights, I'd forgotten to reset the cooker, came home no tea!!!

After giving her a good beating and sending her to fetch a takeaway I realised my error and beat her agin for wanting extra lights!!!!

Moral of the story? Eat microwaveable food :D

P.S. Didn't really beat her, obviously I got lambasted and told I am useless.

Lights look nice thou

It's one thing having the clock flash, but toby's saying his does not light up at all...

Check the tightness of all the neutral connections, the symtoms you mention suggest a loose/missing neutral although with the unpredictable nature of neon screwdrivers its hard to say for sure.

When you originally removed the wiring, did you turn the cooker circuit OFF in your consumer unit?
If so have you turned it back on now you have reconnected it?

OK I know its a no brainer question, but we have all forgotten something so simple it makes us look stupid lol

When you originally removed the wiring, did you turn the cooker circuit OFF in your consumer unit?
If so have you turned it back on now you have reconnected it?

OK I know its a no brainer question, but we have all forgotten something so simple it makes us look stupid lol

Unlikely, OP says live is present. The fact that the neon screwdriver lights on Neutral when the oven is connected suggests that the neutral isn't there.

Can you believe it, a cable(neutral) had come loose from the cooker switch,I had loosend it and obviously dislodged it : Thanks for your replys lads, very grateful

neonscrewdriver1xd9.jpg

As much as we hate the old neon test screwdriver, it was enough in this case to diagnose the fault. Perhaps just as bad is peoples insistence on actually using them as a terminal driver, it's near impossible to get enough torque behind one to properly tighten the terminals on something such as a CCU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back