Location of junction boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Regulations now seem to imply that junction boxes located under floor boards are no longer considered as easily accessible, although I’ve had confliction views on this! This is giving me some problems modifying the existing wiring in my property; can the learned ones here give a view on locating one in an open ceiling void behind a bath panel which is only removable with the use of a tool (& therefore outside the zones)? Would this be considered easily accessible or is it a daft idea?

Sponsored Links
Accessable with a tool it may be but the area behind bath panels tends to be damp

Some thought is needed about damp and corrosion of the wires under the clamping screws leading to loosening connections.

Bernard

Sharnbrook

Sponsored Links
bernardgreen said:
Accessable with a tool it may be but the area behind bath panels tends to be damp

Some thought is needed about damp and corrosion of the wires under the clamping screws leading to loosening connections.

Bernard

Sharnbrook
The idea was not to leave the box on the floor directly under the bath but poke it back under the floor boards through the roughly 400 x 400mm hole where the shower/bath pipes & bonding cables emerge; would this be considered acceptable practice? My thoughts were that it would be no more vulnerable than the kitchen lights which are located directly under the bathroom floor in the same area anyway!

mst; common sense? Does that mean yes it is considered accessible or no it’s a daft idea?

Any other comments anyone?

With certain exemptions, Regulations 526-04-01 and 543-03-03 call for all electrical connections (joints and terminations) to be accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance.

Where connections are made in roof spaces, inter-floor spaces and other non-readily accessible locations, the enclosures containing the connections should normally be fixed, and provision must be made for their access by providing, for example, removable access traps in the ceiling

In your case the junction box would be accessible so your proposal is OK

Pensdown said:
In your case the junction box would be accessible so your proposal is OK

Pensdown; Thanks for the definitive answer; but if it's in the loft & the loft is accessable, do you really have to provide a trap in the ceiling?

Along with ‘philrosenberg’s comment, I assume my logic is sound; unless anyone else can add anything?

The loft hatch is the trap to allow access. What it is getting at is that you can't have a JB in a loft void that doesn't have access without having to hack a hole in the ceiling.

My understanding, and looking throught the new shiny books is that as long as access is there, and not in any silly places like the pond, such as a trap/loft hatch/solid oak door with shiny brass lock and elf on guard then it is okay

RF Lighting said:
The loft hatch is the trap to allow access. What it is getting at is that you can't have a JB in a loft void that doesn't have access without having to hack a hole in the ceiling.

What happens if at a later date they decide to cover the loft with floor boards? Are they supposed to put access covers above each JB?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back