Looking for two specific products

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks.

I know when folk come here and say "I just cannot do this..it's not an option" often the response is "You'll have to find a way".

I could fit a deeper box, but I'd like to try and find a socket that fits first before taking drastic action.

I'm looking for a double socket that is as shallow as possible on the gubbins side, preferably rounded corners with the live terminal on the left, neutral on the right, here I am, stuck, sorry, got carried away there for a minute, and an earth terminal either side.

The other thing I want to do is fit a flush network socket that plugs into a nearby router.

I know patch leads are stranded and network cable is solid and the IDC terms are designed for solid conductors. But if I want a lead that plugs into a router at one end and connects to a network socket at the other, what does one do?

Solid is no good as it is not meant to be used in a flexible type situation but stranded will not effectively connect to the IDC terms?

Ideal solution would be a network socket that accepts a plug, but I have not seen these.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Hi folks.

The other thing I want to do is fit a flush network socket that plugs into a nearby router.

I know patch leads are stranded and network cable is solid and the IDC terms are designed for solid conductors. But if I want a lead that plugs into a router at one end and connects to a network socket at the other, what does one do?

Solid is no good as it is not meant to be used in a flexible type situation but stranded will not effectively connect to the IDC terms?

Ideal solution would be a network socket that accepts a plug, but I have not seen these.

Do you mean have a cable from a network socket running directly to an RJ45 plugged into the router? Normally you have a run of solid core network cable between two sockets and use patch leads at each end.

I know when folk come here and say "I just cannot do this..it's not an option" often the response is "You'll have to find a way". ... I could fit a deeper box, but I'd like to try and find a socket that fits first before taking drastic action.
How deep is the existing box? From what you're saying, it sounds as if it is 16mm, but I can't say I've ever come across a '2 gang' (double width) one of those.

Kind Regards, John

Patch panel.

Sponsored Links
How deep is the existing box? From what you're saying, it sounds as if it is 16mm, but I can't say I've ever come across a '2 gang' (double width) one of those.
I feel another song coming on..."How deep is your box?....." ;)

It is actually 25mm, but it is populated with imperial cables and there are three of them.
You can get 16mm 2 gang boxes (indeed, I have fitted a few in my years!):
https://www.tradesparky.com/wiring-...ush-metal/appleby-sb633-flush-box-2-gang-16mm

Thanks, reds and ban.
A patch panel seems a bit excessive for just one point. Might have to do as reds suggested.

Oh and another.....

How many euromodule 2-module USB PSU outlets do you know that only activate when a plug is inserted?
I think MK do. Do you know of any others?

It is actually 25mm, but it is populated with imperial cables and there are three of them.
Fair enough. I was thinking that, although it can sometimes bit a bit of a challenge, it's normally possible to fit any socket (other than a 'flat plate' one) onto a 25mm box - although I agree that 3 x imperial cables doesn't help!
You can get 16mm 2 gang boxes (indeed, I have fitted a few in my years!):
https://www.tradesparky.com/wiring-...ush-metal/appleby-sb633-flush-box-2-gang-16mm
It makes sense that they exist, given that 'double width' light switches are far from unusual - even though I don't recall ever having seen one.
A patch panel seems a bit excessive for just one point. Might have to do as reds suggested.
I must be having a 'senior moment', since I haven't grasped the nature of your problem. When you say ....
... I want to do is fit a flush network socket that plugs into a nearby router. ... I want a lead that plugs into a router at one end and connects to a network socket at the other, what does one do?
... I can't see how that differs from any use of a network socket. As I type this, my laptop is connected to my network by means of a (flexible) 'patch' cable, one end of which is plugged into my laptop and the other end into a 'network socket' on the wall and, on the face of it, my laptop could just as easily have been your router. Also, when you say ....
My senior moment seems to continue. What do network sockets accept other than plugs?

Perhaps you can provide a little explanation to put me out of my misery? :)

Kind Regards, John

I assumed looking for a through coupling faceplate that accepted a plug in the back as well as the front.

How many euromodule 2-module USB PSU outlets do you know that only activate when a plug is inserted? I think MK do. Do you know of any others?
Dunno - but I have to say that, particularly given the very limited amount of space available, I've always thought that it is probably a bit of a design challenge to find a safe way of getting insertion of the USB plug to switch 230V - particularly with the USB sockets built into 13A sockets (where space is presumably very limited).

Kind Regards, John

I assumed looking for a through coupling faceplate that accepted a plug in the back as well as the front.
Oh, I see - but why would one want to do that? It's not as if one can simply 'join together' network cables (e.g. to create a 'T-junction'), in the same way that one could do with, say, 230V wiring!

Kind Regards, John

That was my idea.
A network socket that, instead of IDC on the rear, has a socket to accept a patch lead.
Plug and play, if you like.

Dunno - but I have to say that, particularly given the very limited amount of space available, I've always thought that it is probably a bit of a design challenge to find a safe way of getting insertion of the USB plug to switch 230V - particularly with the USB sockets built into 13A sockets (where space is presumably very limited).
Just got off the phone to MK Tech.
The USB ports built into 1363 socket plates are always on, but the euromod USB PSU (which is the one I need) is activated upon insertion of a USB plug.
How, I dunno...but I'd like to be able to afford a unit to teardown!!

Seen through coupling patch panels, but not come across a faceplate version. Would make installation easier for people without the correct tools for terminating the cable.

That was my idea. A network socket that, instead of IDC on the rear, has a socket to accept a patch lead.
Oh, I see.

I'm still a bit confused :) If you had one with a socket on the rear, the cable plugged into it would presumably be inside the wall - so how would the other end get out of the wall to plug into your router - just through 'a hole in the wall', or what?

If this wiring is within a wall, why can't you just use (solid) network cable, from the IDC connector on the back of the socket, which travels within the wall to another network socket (again connected by IDC) in the vicinity of the router, and then use a (flexible) path cable to connect from that second socket to the router?

... or am I still misunderstanding?!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back