Looking for two specific products

Just got off the phone to MK Tech. The USB ports built into 1363 socket plates are always on ...
I suspect because of the 'very limited space' to which I previously referred.
... but the euromod USB PSU (which is the one I need) is activated upon insertion of a USB plug. How, I dunno...but I'd like to be able to afford a unit to teardown!!
As you say, it would be interesting to know how they've done it (safely)!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
just through 'a hole in the wall', or what?
Exactly that.
If this wiring is within a wall, why can't you just use (solid) network cable, from the IDC connector on the back of the socket, which travels within the wall to another network socket (again connected by IDC) in the vicinity of the router, and then use a (flexible) path cable to connect from that second socket to the router?
Trying to avoid more boxes in the wall than I absolutely have to.

Exactly that.
Fair enough - although that sounds a bit messy - it's the network equivalent of hard-wiring an item of equipment as a spur from a sockets circuit by running a bit of flex through a 'hole in the wall' and connecting it to the back of one of the 13A sockets :)
Trying to avoid more boxes in the wall than I absolutely have to.
Fair enough - BAS seems to have offered you a one-box solution - which I think is essentially a mini-patch panel.

Kind Regards, John

Re. the network part (insufficient expertise on the lecktricity side).
You can buy 8P8C connectors for both stranded (patch cabling) and solid core cables - you just need the right ones for reliable connections.
You can use a run of solid into anything you like - obviously it'll be physically less flexible but is quite adequate, especially if you can 'cable manage' it (aka tidy the blooming installation up) in some way (ties, clips, stuffed between carpets and skirting boards ...).

Sponsored Links
.... You can use a run of solid into anything you like - obviously it'll be physically less flexible but is quite adequate, especially if you can 'cable manage' it (aka tidy the blooming installation up) in some way (ties, clips, stuffed between carpets and skirting boards ...).
Yes, that occurred to me. Secure's primary problem is that the IDC connections on the back of wall mounted sockets really need solid conductors. However, he can easily put an (IDC) plug on the other end of it and, presuming that he does not spend his entire life moving his router around, I can't see why have solid cable going all the way to his (essentially 'static') router would be a problem.

Kind Regards, John

Re. the network part (insufficient expertise on the lecktricity side).
You can buy 8P8C connectors for both stranded (patch cabling) and solid core cables - you just need the right ones for reliable connections.
You can use a run of solid into anything you like - obviously it'll be physically less flexible but is quite adequate, especially if you can 'cable manage' it (aka tidy the blooming installation up) in some way (ties, clips, stuffed between carpets and skirting boards ...).

Ive always encountered a greater number of bad connections using plugs on solid core cables (terminated with the correct plug) as opposed to stranded. I supect the main cause for this is the force the stiff solid core cable can apply to the plug whilst inserted causing a less than perfect seating of the contacts in cheaply made sockets. I never use plugs on solid core cable connected to moveable devices for this reason, I'd even avoid a router. I do however use them (plugs on solid core) on things like fixed IP security cameras where movement isn't an issue.

Last edited:
The newer plugs work on both solid and stranded, and I've used them on solid with no problems at all - in fact, replacing some old "stranded only" plugs which had started to fail on solid cable with minimal movement. If you look closely at the bit that makes contact with the cores, they wrap around, as well as piercing.

I have essentially the same as you - patch panel to "flying lead" - mine comes up through my floorboards behind my TV. I'll try and find some examples of the "hybrid" ones.

Hi folks.

I'm looking for a double socket that is as shallow as possible on the gubbins side, preferably rounded corners with the live terminal on the left, neutral on the right, here I am, stuck, sorry, got carried away there for a minute, and an earth terminal either side.

Crabtree comes close to this.

Funny, I was just looking up a 4306 (Capital).
You say close, which bit does not match? :)

The L and N are towards the centre, but I think N is on the left and L is on the right.

Very slim profile inside, and two earth terminals, one at each end.

Got one of those, thanks! But would like to try and sort it without a spacer first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back