mains sockets with 2 USB ports delivering 2.1A to both ports (not shared) ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm thinking of getting some mains sockets with built in USB ports, along the lines of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-13a-2-gang-double-pole-switched-socket-2-1a-usb-charger-white/3905g

I haven't purchased any yet though as I can't find any that can deliver 2.1A from both usb ports at the same time (ie delivering a total of 4.2A). All of the ones I've found tend to be 2.1 to 2.4A shared across both ports - which is a bit useless really as I want to be able to plug 2 iphones into them at the same time.

Does anyone know of any of these sockets that can deliver the full 2.1A to both USB ports?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I do not know of one with more than 2A (ish) shared.

As you only
want to be able to plug 2 iphones into them at the same time.

Then you do not have a problem as the iPhone only requires 1A to charge. It is only the iPAD that needs 2amps. So charging 2 iPhones on most twin USB sockets is fine.

More info on charging currents here
https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3511

Bear in mind that if ( when ) the USB power unit fails you may need to replace the socket before the RCD protecting the socket can be reset to ON.

Also bear in mind that some equipment can only be charge from a charger approved by the equipment manufacturer. The equipment and the approved charger handshake some data before the equipment will alow the charge to charge it. If the socket USB cannot perform the handshake then the equipment will not charge.

I do not know of one with more than 2A (ish) shared.
I haven't seen any, either.

As a related question, does anyone know of a dual (or more!) plug-in USB charger than can deliver more than ~2A total? When the family descends upon me en masse, I sometimes find myself with requests to simultaneously charge a number of phones and tablets, and although the latter are not usually iPads, they often claim to want ~2A each!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Bear in mind that if ( when ) the USB power unit fails you may need to replace the socket before the RCD protecting the socket can be reset to ON.
Whilst that might conceivable be true, I would strongly suspect that there will not be any earth connection to the 'USB module' - so that it is very unlikely that a 'failed' USB power supply would result in an RCD tripping. A failure in the PSU's input circuitry which caused an MCB to operate might be more likely (since, until the new Standard described by stillp comes into force, I don't think one can necessarily rely on these PSUs having internal over-current protection).

Kind Regards, John

John, With regards to a "dual (or more!) plug-in USB charger than can deliver more than ~2A total" there are these:
Thanks! I obviously hadn't looked (this thread made me think of the need to !) - but, although I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised (given the proliferation of USB charging!), I didn't realise that there were so many out there!

Kind Regards, John

TTC,
My apologies to you and John - I did not mean to change the direction of the chat away from "mains sockets with built in USB ports", I was answering the question John asked where he said >>>> "As a related question, does anyone know of a dual (or more!) plug-in USB charger than can deliver more than ~2A total? When the family descends upon me en masse, I sometimes find myself with requests to simultaneously charge a number of phones and tablets, and although the latter are not usually iPads, they often claim to want ~2A each!" as I had seen these used in some companies where there have multiple tablets for presentations etc.
regards sfk

TTC, My apologies to you and John - I did not mean to change the direction of the chat away from "mains sockets with built in USB ports", I was answering the question John asked where he said ....
Indeed, but you have no reason to apologise - it was me who asked that supplementary question (after the OP had got his answer to the original question)! If that also requires an apology, then please take this as one!

Kind Regards, John

In the USB 1.0 and 2.0 specs, a standard downstream port is capable of delivering up to 500mA (0.5A); with USB 3.0, it moves up to 900mA (0.9A). The charging downstream and dedicated charging ports provide up to 1500mA (1.5A).

Apple do not seem to have signed up to the standard so some apple items need their own charger all other USB other than silly apple will be fine with 2A shared between two sockets unless apple make a charging socket your unlikely to find one. It would be non standard.

Apple do not seem to have signed up to the standard so some apple items need their own charger all other USB other than silly apple will be fine with 2A shared between two sockets unless apple make a charging socket your unlikely to find one. It would be non standard.
I'm not sure that it is particularly Apple's fault. An iPad will charge from a USB 1.0 or 2.0 port, but extremely slowly - and a bit faster (but still pretty slow) from a USB 3.0 one. It is presumably because users want faster charging that Apple supply a 2A charger - a Standard cannot change physics!

I imagine that the reason why the iPad needs more current to charge fairly quickly is that it is quite a big and heavily used device (as compared, say, with a phone) and, again, users want a battery in it big enough to allow a reason period of off-charge usage. Let's face it, an iPad is not that much different from a laptop, and if you tried charging a laptop with ~5W, you'd probably be waiting quite a long time.

Kind Regards, John

This may or may not be off topic but my Samsung tablet came with a 5.3 volt charger. I wondered why it took ages to charge via my Samsung phone charger...!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back