mains sockets with 2 USB ports delivering 2.1A to both ports (not shared) ?

Also bear in mind that some equipment can only be charge from a charger approved by the equipment manufacturer. The equipment and the approved charger handshake some data before the equipment will alow the charge to charge it. If the socket USB cannot perform the handshake then the equipment will not charge.
Serves people right for buying paying for the right to use but not actually own Apple products.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You were correct in not wanting to bet on that! Definitely 5.3 volts
I can't see 0.3v at 2.1A (presumably) making all that much difference to charging speed?
I guess that's totally dependent upon what 'charging control circuitry' is at the device end.

To take the extreme case of there being no control circuitry, and if, say, the battery voltage at the time were 5.0 volts, then if 5.3 volts resulted in a current of 2.1A, then, say, 5.1V would be expected to result in a current of only about 0.7A (2.1A/3).

Kind Regards, John

If you want the convenience of discrete charging, then it may be easier to add 2 double sockets rather than just one. Charging 2 items from one 2.1a unit can be done,but will just take longer. There are a lot of cheap usb charge cables on eBay that are made from copper coated aluminium, rather than all copper, and this is why they take longer to charge.

Just out of interest I've only had a quick look at the MK 2g socket with USB ports and the separate USB module. Neither will charge my Ipod. All the other USB power banks, in car adaptors, plug in USB chargers all charge the Ipod without issues. It's just the 2 MK ones that wont, they are the most expensive too!

Neither will charge my Ipod. All the other USB power banks, in car adaptors, plug in USB chargers all charge the Ipod without issues. It's just the 2 MK ones that wont, they are the most expensive too!
Interesting. If you'd only written the first sentence of that, I wouldn't have been surprised - Apple are more than capable of making a product that can only be charged by one of its own chargers. However, if all third party chargers other than the MK ones work OK with the iPod, that certainly does surprise me!

Do you have any other Apple products you could try - and, indeed, have you tried the MK chargers with non-Apple products??

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
I noticed at a glance there is certainly circuitry connected to the 2 data pins in at least the euro module MK unit. One end must not be getting along with the other!

I noticed at a glance there is certainly circuitry connected to the 2 data pins in at least the euro module MK unit. One end must not be getting along with the other!
I think you posted that before I added my edit, so I will repeat "Do you have any other Apple products you could try - and, indeed, have you tried the MK chargers with non-Apple products??"

Kind Regards, John

Do you have any other Apple products you could try - and, indeed, have you tried the MK chargers with non-Apple products??

No other Apple products, just this 120GB Ipod Classic. The sockets both charge my newish Panasonic digital camera. I don't have many more USB products that contain batteries, I'm rather behind the times. The only one I can think of right now is a little power bank. I've just plugged it in and it is charging fine.

To take the extreme case of there being no control circuitry, and if, say, the battery voltage at the time were 5.0 volts, then if 5.3 volts resulted in a current of 2.1A, then, say, 5.1V would be expected to result in a current of only about 0.7A (2.1A/3).

Kind Regards, John
Most cells at 1.3 volt so one would assume 3 cells so 3.9 volt so charge current without control = Volts above cells voltage/internal resistance of cell. So if 2 amp at 5.3 volts then internal resistance = 0.7 so changing to 5 volt would reduce charging current to 1.57 amp quite a drop. If you just consider 1.4 volt per cell instead of 1.3 then again using 5.3 and 5 volt then charge drops from 2 amp to 1.45 amp.

One would hope some internal control but even that adds a threshold voltage so unless the device uses a switch mode unit to boost the voltage then the 0.3 volt would have a huge effect on the charge rate.

The inability of Apple to use standard adaptors has long been a problem. However Samsung is not much better. There are standard USB connectors, but Apple still produced their own and said we are using a standard Apple adaptor. Samsung will take a standard plug, but it's own plug is longer with more connections.

It would be like Europe adopting a standard plug and every country still having there own plug and each one claiming that was the standard plug. May down lighters are designed for 12 volt, but most the power supplies are rated 11.9 volt not 12. Same thing clearly all should be 12 volt RMS.

It does seem output from either USB built into sockets or as stand alone chargers tend to be 1A or may be the odd 1.1A per socket some do allow more than 1A where only one socket of a pair is used but it would seem they keep to 1A in the main likely because you have not got a clue what has been plugged in. It is all very well having a charger marked for Apple Ipad use only, but when built in it has to be remembered there is more than apple and any general charging socket must also work the rest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back