manhole and foundations - help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got a public sewer 3m away in my back garden. So my extension is 2.9m.

Building Control approved my foundations and a 50mm clay master sheet was inserted between the sewer and concrete.

Just heard from the water board that they are rejecting the foundation proposal because I need to be 600mm away from the sewer. There are loads of extensions on street.

600mm....my extension will be too small!!! What can be done to get around this problem? Shall I ignore this letter.

Does building control need the consent letter from the water board to give the final thumbs-up?

Sponsored Links
Building Control approved my foundations and a 50mm clay master sheet was inserted between the sewer and concrete.

Just heard from the water board that they are rejecting the foundation proposal because I need to be 600mm away from the sewer. There are loads of extensions on street.
does this mean you went ahead with the foundations before gaining approval from the water authority? :eek:

The water authority can and will carry out remedial/maintenance work on their drains even if it means knocking your extension down to do it.

Ignore their objection at your peril!!

A build over agreement is required from the water board if you plan to build within 3m of a public sewer. No way around this I am afraid.
What concerns me more is that building control have approved your foundations :eek: as a requirement to your application they should have carried out a sewer check and advised you accordingly, they can not approve an application if it requires a build over agreement and there is not one in place.

Sponsored Links
A building notice can not be used if the work is near a public sewer

In fact, building control can not approve plans until/unless the water authority has granted permission first.

There has been a cock-up somewhere

Edit

Unless the sewer plans were wrong and the public sewer was not within influencing distance according to their records?

If there was an error in approving plans, then an argument with any action which the water authority may take, is that the 'professional opinion' of the building control surveyor has deemed the work acceptable, in which case the water authority would have to prove that the design is unacceptable - and this would infer that the BCO is either incompetent or unqualified - which is going to be very hard for the water authority to say let alone prove

Not always and sometimes sewers don't show up on the plans.
However they should disclaimer this on any approved plans.
I have one at the moment where the approval says that it is subject to the approvals of any concerned third parties.
Also as he has noticed the position of the sewer he shouldn't sign off your extension without the relevant build over approval(as pointed out by mikric).
As noseall says the problem arises if and when the water board need access for maintenance, no permission and they will basically do what they want to get at their pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back