McCulloch strimmer identification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Anybody able to identify what model this McCulloch petrol strimmer is please.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 491
Sponsored Links
Hi,
I’ve picked this item up now and it’s a Mac 80 sx.
There are 2 fuel pipes so I assume one is intake and other is return.
So which is which ?
In the supplied photo there are a blue and red arrow to help if possible identify them.
I removed the fuel from the tank and out came a small filter hence why I need to know which is intake.

The black hose shown looks like it fits to the primer bulb. You can pull this hose out of the tank because the large black hose only touches the tank because a smaller harder hose is pushed into the soft flexible black hose. So is this normal as petrol could leak out or has someone done this as it was to hard a job to put the larger hose straight from primer bulb into the tank ?

Attachments

• C4E1E9D6-704F-4998-9682-1E3DC01A791A.jpeg
    C4E1E9D6-704F-4998-9682-1E3DC01A791A.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 290
Sponsored Links
It sounds like someone has been fiddling with the fuel pipes in the past.....the pipes need to be a snug fit in the grommet and the secret is to fit the pipes in the grommet then fit the grommet into the tank.
Anyway, time for some guesswork, Im going by memory here.
The pipe going to the primer bulb should be well immersed into the fuel tank, with a filter in the end.
The other pipe from the primer enters the carb, usually near the adjustment screws.
The other pipe exits the carb then terminates just through the grommet, its purpose to return excess fuel back to the tank.
If you connect up as suggested, you should see the fuel lift into the carb and then return back to the tank.
New fuel pipes, complete with grommet, are available from GHS. Ltd.
John :)

Hmmm
You say grommets.
I pulled the hose which came up easy because the hose then of a smaller size is shown.
This hose seems like a more rigid hose and hole in tank is at a buses say 3mm so I don't see how a grommet is going to fit. Did this
Did this model have a grommet ?
The return hose is clear see through and looks like it's in the tank fine as its a tight fit.

Sorry, I couldnt tell from your picture but this machine doesnt have a grommet, just holes in the tank......theres no difference in real life however.
Proper fuel hose is made from Tygon, many sizes are available so maybe a replacement has been fitted at some time. They need to be a snug fit, but only to keep dirt out of the tank...the fit doesnt have to be air tight.

Since been looking around and found pipe with grommet and filter so I think I will but it an open up the hole in the tank a touch to accept the grommet.

Since been looking around and found pipe with grommet and filter so I think I will but it an open up the hole in the tank a touch to accept the grommet.
Easy does it if you decide to go down that route.......I use a step drill after a pilot hole to get to the correct size of hole that suits the grommet.

Easy does it if you decide to go down that route.......I use a step drill after a pilot hole to get to the correct size of hole that suits the grommet.
I had the same thoughts John but would only expanded the hole as a very last resort as a replacement tank could prove difficult or expensive.
Its easier and safer to use the correct size tube to give a snug fit which I cab explain to op when I get off the phone if you haven't done so by then?

Yes, I'd follow exactly what you say......there's no need for a grommet system so I'd be measuring the fuel pipe diameter (or hole in the tank) and go from there.
Its surprising how many diameters of fuel tube there are!

Do you have any information regarding the fuel / oil mix ratio.
I don’t want it to smoke or seize.

Do you have any info also for ngk spark plug gap.

I also have a cone cutter / stepped cutter should I need to use it.

Use a 50:1 ratio of really good quality oil.....Stihl etc do 'one shot' bottles added to 5 litres of petrol, and red Oregon is good because you can see when the fuel has been mixed. You can use anything up to a 25:1 ratio if you like but its rarely necessary and does tend to smoke a bit.
Plug gap is 25 thou, the thickness of a postcard, and if its got the stumpy plug its a BPMR7A NGK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back