Meat hangover

A few years ago, before he divorced my mother and moved to Australia!, my father used to own a bacon factory. The guys working there were the real animals. They loved to carve up a carcass and the guts went into these drums along with the brains, eyes, etc.

Once, my dad came home and told me he had to sack 3 guys because they were putting "things from the drums" in the sausages and pork mince. These sausages ended up on the supermarket shelves and the pork mince went to a pie maker.

It didnt stop there though, the pie maker used to colour the mince with cows blood to make ot look darker.

I never eat pork now, I actually like pigs and have 2 of them as pets, but some of the sights I saw and the stories I heard made me wanna puke!!

Sponsored Links
My bro doesn't eat pork because of the intelligence of the animals.

I only ever eat the "finest" sausages, where you can identify meat (rather than offal) in the filling... of course, I try to avoid considering the "natural pork casings" the filling comes in! :LOL: Mmmmm, pig's poo-pipes.

I saw a culinary programme where this guy (might have been Jamie Oliver) went around learning about traditional British favourites. One week he did black pudding, and he went to help an old Scottish woman make some. The sight, smell and thought of the big vat of blood made him run outside and throw up! :LOL:

I'm not a veggie but the way we treat farm animals is disgusting I no longer eat factory chucks or anything come to that, so now its got to be free range or not at all, they reckon even farmed Salmon are full of toxins and we should only eat once a week.

Richardp said:
they reckon even farmed Salmon are full of toxins and we should only eat once a week.

Richard I may be wrong but I think that should be 3 or 4 times per year. The waste from the fish farms are not only creating toxins within the salmon but they are destroying the local ecosystem. The World Wide Fund for Nature calculates that the level of pollution from fish farms on the west coast of Scotland is comparable to the sewage output of up to 9.4 million people. Salmon farming I think has become a bit like chicken batteries. It has brought the price right down but at a tremendous cost to the welfare of the animals.

Sponsored Links
It all comes back to the supermarkets, belay that! its the consumer, we have to not buy it, which is easy to say but I guess that the hard-up shopper will go for the low cost, maybe education ?

Richardp
Did you also see the Proggie on TV with some lass who gave up the SUPERMARKET SECRETS

The one on chickens (HOCK BURNs TRUELLY AWFUL /SICKENING !!)in the farms has killed me stone dead on it ...I WAS A Massive chicken eater but now I feel Phisically(sp) sick trying to eat it ..

the one on ducks was also horribly upsetting too ,alsa I dont ever consume it ...

Moz said:
Richardp
Did you also see the Proggie on TV with some lass who gave up the SUPERMARKET SECRETS

The one on chickens (HOCK BURNs TRUELLY AWFUL /SICKENING !!)in the farms has killed me stone dead on it ...I WAS A Massive chicken eater but now I feel Phisically(sp) sick trying to eat it ..

the one on ducks was also horribly upsetting too ,alsa I dont ever consume it ...

Didn't see that one Moz but I'll watch out for it next time round, sounds like it might make me a candidate for the rabbit food pie!! :D with free range chips.

Moz said:
I WAS A Massive chicken eater

Massive chicken?
big_chick.jpg

Salmon is desirable to eat because people still associate it with luxury and a lifestyle to aspire to. It costs about the same to bring smoked salmon and scrambled eggs to your significant other in bed as it would to bring her a fry-up. Yet somehow seems somewhat more of a treat to those who like salmon.

Remember, navvies once went on strike because they were being fed oysters and salmon far too often :LOL: A lot of the foods we eat now were luxuries before, and vice versa.

How many people here cook curries? If you are like me, if it is a chicken curry you will use chicken breasts. Great, no bones, no skanky bits. But, to be authentic you would usually be using the cheaper cuts. But hey, chicken breast is affordable to us decadent westerners, so that's what we prefer to eat.

When we want to eat things in great quantity (what would happen if someone found a way to grow truffles in a normal mushroom farm?) they make them in bulk and we get it cheaper. Salmon will go out of fashion when the carbon tax makes cattle farming prohibitively expensive, then we'll be going gaga for beef.

Sponsored Links
Back