Meat hangover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've finally done it, I've managed to eat so much meat I got a hangover.

I went to a barbecue last night, at which I ate just over 2 and a half pounds of meat... No alcohol as I was driving, and today I have a hangover.

I'm guessing it's because meat has salt in it so it is the dehydration, but my hands are shaking and I'm sweating a bit like a normal alcohol hangover.

What's the weirdest hangover cause you've found?

Sponsored Links
Jeeze hope it's not Mad Cows you got ;)
I think i'd either be shaking or very very sick if i ate that much meat in one sitting!
If we are talking of weirdest effects from eating as opposed to drinking then it must be the time when i was young and i was eating winkles out of the shell using a needle i used to love them as all shellfish and ate them on a regular basis until one day my mum had bought some for me and i sat down to scoff them, I noticed something wasn't quite right with the last mouthful and when i scooped out another winkle i looked at it and at that point one of it's stalks popped out in front of my eyes, to this day i will never know why i did it but i ate the winkle, well within a short time i went down feeling sick with a raging fever and i ended up hallucinating , we had an old stand up piano in the front room and i remember vividly seeing the lid lift up on the piano and slugs and snakes and spiders and all sorts of slimy creatures and insects start to crawl out of the piano! I was very sick for a week and a bit.
Needless to say i left off the shellfish for many years and still havn't eaten anymore winkles or whelks although i have started again with cockles and mussels.

I know it's not food, but I once opened a bottle of wine and it had 'corked'. Being young and foolish I still drank about 3/4 of it. The whole of the next day was spent either in bed or in the toilet. I don't think I have ever been so ill.

(Didn't stop me drinking wine though.)

petewood said:
I know it's not food, but I once opened a bottle of wine and it had 'corked'. Being young and foolish I still drank about 3/4 of it. The whole of the next day was spent either in bed or in the toilet. I don't think I have ever been so ill.

(Didn't stop me drinking wine though.)
The Cheap alternative to Detox treatment ;)

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
What's the weirdest hangover cause you've found?

I remember a story (in a news paper, so it must be true :D ) about a family of five.
Mother is cooking cauliflower and dust it with some nutmeg. Father comes in the kitchen and dust it also with nutmeg, then son1 etc.
After eating the dish they all were hallucinating for hours: to much nutmeg seems to cause that effect!

(Pip, I dare you to reply on this without mentioning NL :LOL: :LOL: )

WoodYouLike said:
I remember a story (in a news paper, so it must be true :D ) about a family of five.
Mother is cooking cauliflower and dust it with some nutmeg. Father comes in the kitchen and dust it also with nutmeg, then son1 etc.
After eating the dish they all were hallucinating for hours: to much nutmeg seems to cause that effect!
)

Yes, i'm sure that must be true, people often wander through our kitchen dusting things with nutmeg - at least, I think it's nutmeg, have you ever noticed how your palm can look like a map of Canada?

kendor said:
I noticed something wasn't quite right with the last mouthful and when i scooped out another winkle i looked at it and at that point one of it's stalks popped out in front of my eyes,

I'm not a shellfish eater so please humour me: are winkles eaten cooked, dead and raw, or alive? And what are the stalks? :eek:

I don't usually eat that much meat in one sitting, but sometimes I'm on a roll... after eating about 1lb of meat I get "the meat sweats", where you start to sweat for no reason. Then after about 1.5lb you start to feel really thirsty.

I only eat meat in quantity when I'm at a barbecue, I usually eat very little red meat (about 2-3oz in one meal).

This morning, whilst feeling very hungry, I was starting to consider making that my Saturday morning activity now that it turns out the tools I had arranged to hire haven't been delivered to the hireshop. :LOL:

I homemake burgers, I usually include all kinds of stuff in the mixture... Perhaps I could make a burger 12" across, and buy a stotty cake to use as the bun?? :D

AdamW said:
I'm not a shellfish eater so please humour me: are winkles eaten cooked, dead and raw, or alive? And what are the stalks? :eek:
I think they were boiled but maybe one got through uncooked? By stalks i mean like a snail it's eye stalk popped out, they used to be my favourite and my mum used to treat me to some every friday down the market off the seafood stall.

AdamW said:
I homemake burgers, I usually include all kinds of stuff in the mixture... Perhaps I could make a burger 12" across, and buy a stotty cake to use as the bun?? :D
Do you make sure you only buy good quality mincemeat or do you make your own mincemeat?

I haven't found any independent butchers round here so I am stuck with supermarket mince (can't ask them to mince up a bit fresh!). I use the best mince they have, I find with cheaper stuff they are more likely to fall apart as all the water and fat drips out. It's still nicer than frozen cardboard circles, mind!

Add a bit of flour and an egg to the mix, that sticks it together.

Never eat mincemeat unless you have made it yourself or asked them to mince a piece of steak for you.

Mincemeat is basically all the crap they would have thrown away and any age, also any meat, it then has colouring and preservative so it last a few more days and looks the part.

Sponsored Links
Back