Melted pitch from main fusebox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For as long as we have been in the house that I live in (a very long time), I have been aware (just occasionally) of pitch or tar that is seeping, very very slowly indeed, from the main fusebox. It has even got onto the carpet, which is a few inches lower than this fusebox. I live in the UK, and, on the Web somewhere, I saw that the energy provider is legally bound to do something about this, because the pitch is insulation material that is supposed to fill the main fuse-box. When I enquired of them, their response was that they were not obliged to attend to it in any way. Of course, what I read on the Web may have referred to the law in some other country, not the UK. However, my main concern is not about the legal niceties of the matter, but about whether the melting of the pitch poses any serious risk to the property (or any other kind of risk, for that matter).

Would someone qualified to advise me please tell me what he (or she thinks) about possible risk? Also, if they do happen to know what the obligation (if any) of a British energy provider with regard to this matter, that would also be very much appreciated.
With thanks in advance,
A.W.

Sponsored Links
I guess you mean the supply head, where the single main supply fuse sits?

Pitch does do that when it gets warm. It may be getting warm either because your house is hot, or there my be a faulty elecrical joint inside that is causing heat to be generated.

If you are at all concerned, you need to contact your DNO (not the people to who you pay your lekky bill). They are bound to respond if there is a safety issue, and you may well have one!
You can get to the correct DNO through this page
http://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/who-is-my-network-operator.html

If you are at all concerned, you need to contact your DNO (not the people to who you pay your lekky bill). They are bound to respond if there is a safety issue, and you may well have one!
Thanks indeed, Taylor, for both the helpful information and the prompt reply. I shall ring my DNO (I found it, with your link), as our house is certainly not hot, but rather the reverse.
A.W.

... (added two days or so later) Taylor, I rang our DNO, and they came out promptly. I am adding this end to the story for the possible benefit of others that have the same concern. The engineer felt the box, and said that it was not even warm, so there was nothing to be concerned about. He also said that pitch is put into the main fusebox to keep two cables (or cores) separated. However, he said that these wires are so taut that they could not possibly connect. Finally, he said that I did right in calling him out, as one can never assume that there is nothing wrong.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back