Mental well-being of athletes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What’s going on - is a new trend or something? The Jap tennis player, the Yank gymnast and now the ginger cricket player. Perhaps they should retire from competitive sport if it’s getting too…..competitive? (n)

Sponsored Links
I doubt it's any different to the past, except people are more honest about what's going on.

One difference may be that people are taking a more proactive approach to their mental state. Sports psychology has always been a huge factor in performance, if post match interviews are bad for your performance then don't do them. Interestingly that's exactly how Duncan Scott manages his post race routine

The secret, he said through another big smile, is to “get out of the building really sharp, try not to do too many questions with the media, because it’s really important that you try to minimise your time in the arena and the environment.” And with that, he was gone, off to the training pool to begin his warm-down.
But apparently it is contractually forbidden in tennis.

What’s going on - is a new trend or something? The Jap tennis player, the Yank gymnast and now the ginger cricket player. Perhaps they should retire from competitive sport if it’s getting too…..competitive? (n)

they can all afford it to have mental well being issues

perhaps should all go and get a job that will sort it

they can all afford it to have mental well being issues

perhaps should all go and get a job that will sort it

do you think that being off work for a year or more, and sponging off the taxpayer, causes mental instability?

i hear it can lead to excessive drinking as well.

Sponsored Links
do you think that being off work for a year or more, and sponging off the taxpayer, causes mental instability?

well stop doing it than

:ROFLMAO: And the drinking

I don't sponge off the taxpayer

I'm busy chipping in my share to keep mottie pottering round his allotment and tipping wine down his neck.

The way I read Transam is that, most of us could not afford to take time off work due to mental health problems. Or our employer would not be as sympathetic...

Simone Biles: I get what she is saying. She's being sensible, one wrong move and she could be crippled.. It's amazing what these young girls can do, her focus has got to be spot on..... However I can't help but feel sorry for the Athlete/Gymnast who misses by 1 from being in the olympic team.

This trend will now see more 'contracted' sportspeople deciding not to turn out when the going gets tough.

Cant help feeling she felt she would lose this time round so took the easy way out. How do you do all that work, sweat blood and tears and then bottle it?
I guess others will disagree and say how brave she is being by “coming out” but she could have done it a year ago and saved sponsors etc a shed load of money.

This trend will now see more 'contracted' sportspeople deciding not to turn out when the going gets tough.

lol. These people have reached the pinnacle of their sports which requires effort, determination, talent are now mentally weak.

Cant help feeling she felt she would lose this time round so took the easy way out. How do you do all that work, sweat blood and tears and then bottle it?
I guess others will disagree and say how brave she is being by “coming out” but she could have done it a year ago and saved sponsors etc a shed load of money.

The easy way out is not achieving what she has done or any other sportsman at the pinnacle of their careers.

What sporting accomplishment have you done?

The easy way out is not achieving what she has done or any other sportsman at the pinnacle of their careers.

What sporting accomplishment have you done?
I played rugby at a level where results used to be on the telly, I have been shot at and been at the coal face of several large fires.

Now what have you done?

Sponsored Links
Back