menvier TS690 Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

My alarm people are charging £282 to come out and replace the back up battery in my Ts690. I think this is excessive.

I decided to take the front panel off and silenced the alarm with my pass code. I located the battery and ordered one off the net for £24 delivered.

Now before I get too clever and disconnect the old one, is there anything I should know about?

Is it really as simple as reconnecting the fast on spade terminals and punching my code in to reset?

Can the battery only be changed with an engineers code?

What about if I bridge the old batterry with the new one using two bits or wire? Do you think the system will detect the increase in volts and lock me out?

Many thanks
Ron :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
not sure, but someone will help you on that, but glad you did not let your self be ripped off by that price to change a battery, that is a disgusting price, they could probably get the battery chepaer then you, so £250 labour for max 20 mins work? outlaws thats what they are for attempting to rip you off, because thats what they were attempting, gkad you bought it yourself, more evidence of rogue traders ripping off the public.

i dont install alarms, well i do in my own house, id of thought £50 would be a resonable price to supply and fit a new battery, and 20 mins is been generous to change a battery.

look at it this way mate, youve just saved well over £250 quid by doing it yourself, like i say the other lads will tell you if its just a staright forward swap over with your code soon.

Sponsored Links
Yes I agree. £50 is about right for that job.
I haven't saved £250 yet though. Lets see if all is ok when I swap them over, and hope that I dont become unstuck! :oops:

im going to say, that you enter the engineers code, remove the lid from the panel, swap out the battery, put lid back on, exit engineers mode - job done.

ah you dont have the engineers code, but your code silenced it when you removed the panel? so id say your code will be enough to swap over the battery.

im going to say, that you enter the engineers code, remove the lid from the panel, swap out the battery, put lid back on, exit engineers mode - job done.

ah you dont have the engineers code, but your code silenced it when you removed the panel? so id say your code will be enough to swap over the battery.
So you’re just recommending changing the battery? What about checking the battery charging terminals to see the panel is outputting the correct voltage to charge the new battery?

What about isolating the mains?

I don't know this panel but it might have engineer reset enabled. That means if you open it you will be snookered without the code.

he has already been able to silence it with his code when he removed the lid.

all he asked was about changing the battery, so i anserwed the question.

as for the mains? thats up to him if he wishes to isolate, before changing the battery.

i also told him that others would help him more on changing the battery, my advice was more general, i do not no nothing about that panel either, thats why i stated that others will help him on the battery change.

what i do know is that £250 is a rip off overcharge, even if the engineer was to stick a multimeter on to check correct voltage, and to isolate the mains. that job would still take max 20 mins.

What about if I bridge the old batterry with the new one using two bits or wire? Do you think the system will detect the increase in volts and lock me out?

NEVER BRIDGE ANY TERMINALS ON THE BATTERY.

Was once testing a soundbomb and let the two ends touch together. The wire caught fire due to the amount of current :oops:

he has already been able to silence it with his code when he removed the lid.

all he asked was about changing the battery, so i anserwed the question.

as for the mains? thats up to him if he wishes to isolate, before changing the battery.

i also told him that others would help him more on changing the battery, my advice was more general, i do not no nothing about that panel either, thats why i stated that others will help him on the battery change.

what i do know is that £250 is a rip off overcharge, even if the engineer was to stick a multimeter on to check correct voltage, and to isolate the mains. that job would still take max 20 mins.
Silencing it and engineer reset are two different things. He might have been able to silence it but his code won't clear an engineer reset.

You still want to warn about mains being present inside! How do you know they know theres 240 present? How do you know they know where not to touch?

That price might be abit dear but you are not just paying for a battery!

i dont install alarms, well i do in my own house, id of thought £50 would be a resonable price to supply and fit a new battery, and 20 mins is been generous to change a battery.

look at it this way mate, youve just saved well over £250 quid by doing it yourself, like i say the other lads will tell you if its just a staright forward swap over with your code soon.
Yet again you show a naivety for business.

Yes, on the face of basic info, £250 would be excessive - but we don't know all the facts do we?
And 20mins? where do you get that from?
£50 - that's dodgy dealer pricing.

No self respecting company will turn up just to change a battery. More work/time involved than that.
But then, i suppose in your ebay world everything is oh sooooo simple.

Yet again you show a naivety for business.

Yes, on the face of basic info, £250 would be excessive - but we don't know all the facts do we?
And 20mins? where do you get that from?
£50 - that's dodgy dealer pricing.

No self respecting company will turn up just to change a battery. More work/time involved than that.
But then, i suppose in your ebay world everything is oh sooooo simple.

read what the op posted, £282 to change the battery, to change the battery to change the battery, thats what he said.

"My alarm people are charging £282 to come out and replace the back up battery in my Ts690. I think this is excessive" £250 is a rip off rougue trader advantage taking rip off, but then again you already no about people in your trade staeling equipment and selling it and then getting the sack, £250 to change a battery is also stealing in my mind.

lol nearly £300 quid to change a battery, on a domestic - rouges.

read what the op posted, £282 to change the battery, to change the battery to change the battery, thats what he said.

"My alarm people are charging £282 to come out and replace the back up battery in my Ts690. I think this is excessive" £250 is a rip off rougue trader advantage taking rip off, but then again you already no about people in your trade staeling equipment and selling it and then getting the sack, £250 to change a battery is also stealing in my mind.

lol nearly £300 quid to change a battery, on a domestic - rouges.
It seems it's you, yet again, that is having trouble reading.

You know jack about the job, what's entailed, what a good company would do etc etc. No self respecting company would just tip up and simply change a battery - that's the domain of the cowboys.

So, what you think is excessive doesn't really matter does it seen as you are totally unaware of the issues involved. But then, price is everything to you, not the quality or actually getting the job done properly.

Oh, and like i said, read carefully.

the op thinks its excessive too, so get over yourself.

engineer gets job from his gaffer, goes to stores, gets battery, travels to ops house, takes lid off panel, maybe removes mains, installs battery, checks to make sure it is just a dud battery and not something gone on the panel, replaces lid, powers up and tests.

1 battery 1 screw driver 1 multi meter, lets give to the benefit of the doubt and hes there a hour (which i doubt) so we have £20 for a yuasa battery (if thats whats used)

labour comest to £262 for a hours work - a rip off rougue trader company out to take advantage of people, considering the job sheet will state supply and fit battery - check system.

i dont care who or what you think you are or do, i and many other people will agree that £262 for a hours work max is a rip off.

same as me charging £262 to fit a new hard drive in somes computer, which would be about the same time to fit a new battery in a alarm and test.
lol i can just see watchdog now, a propper alarm engenier in a room watching a fitter change a battery on the panel and do a basic system check - he would be just as socked as the op at a bill for nearly £300 for changing a battery.

and as this is a diy forum, why dont you anserw the op and tell him how to change it himself? or as i guess you are going to keep this knowledge to yourself, to enable companies in your industry to take nearly £300 from this man.

says all there is to be said about you, youd rather him stump up nearly £300 then help him, just why are you posting in this thread? oh to defend the actions of a £300 battery change.

i hope sparkymarka shows up later and helps this guy and im sure he will.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back